Jan 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal hears this:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 23, 2014
The first impulse is to say “haha, Balfour wanted to play for a winner and the Mets don’t win and hahaha” and all of that. But this is not all that interesting for those purposes. I mean, if the money is at least close, a closer is going to want to to a winning team because that leads to more saves. And all ballplayers want to play for a winner.
No, it’s more interesting inasmuch as it suggests that the Mets aren’t anywhere near as confident in Bobby Parnell as their closer as they have suggested. Or, alternatively, that the Mets are getting into the “flip-a-closer” business that the A’s used to do from time to time. Letting a guy rack up some saves and then trading him to teams which are desperate for relief help in midseason. Which, frankly, could be kind of smart.
But smart or not, it’s not the sort of thing Balfour wanted, obviously. And unless the money was substantially different, I assume most of us would make the same choice too.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 7
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 36
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)