Jan 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal hears this:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 23, 2014
The first impulse is to say “haha, Balfour wanted to play for a winner and the Mets don’t win and hahaha” and all of that. But this is not all that interesting for those purposes. I mean, if the money is at least close, a closer is going to want to to a winning team because that leads to more saves. And all ballplayers want to play for a winner.
No, it’s more interesting inasmuch as it suggests that the Mets aren’t anywhere near as confident in Bobby Parnell as their closer as they have suggested. Or, alternatively, that the Mets are getting into the “flip-a-closer” business that the A’s used to do from time to time. Letting a guy rack up some saves and then trading him to teams which are desperate for relief help in midseason. Which, frankly, could be kind of smart.
But smart or not, it’s not the sort of thing Balfour wanted, obviously. And unless the money was substantially different, I assume most of us would make the same choice too.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (168)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)