The Mets outbid the Rays on Grant Balfour

Jan 23, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Ken Rosenthal hears this:

The first impulse is to say “haha, Balfour wanted to play for a winner and the Mets don’t win and hahaha” and all of that. But this is not all that interesting for those purposes. I mean, if the money is at least close, a closer is going to want to to a winning team because that leads to more saves. And all ballplayers want to play for a winner.

No, it’s more interesting inasmuch as it suggests that the Mets aren’t anywhere near as confident in Bobby Parnell as their closer as they have suggested. Or, alternatively, that the Mets are getting into the “flip-a-closer” business that the A’s used to do from time to time. Letting a guy rack up some saves and then trading him to teams which are desperate for relief help in midseason. Which, frankly, could be kind of smart.

But smart or not, it’s not the sort of thing Balfour wanted, obviously. And unless the money was substantially different, I assume most of us would make the same choice too.

1. fanofevilempire - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM

WTF
    Please ignore all Tampa is signing Balfour reports.
    Thank you!

• Ralph - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM

The reading comprehension is weak with this one…

• fanofevilempire - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM

thanks, I appreciate it so much.
        sorry I had conflicting report.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Take “his” out of that tweet and add a “but” and it reads much better without any more characters.

2. drkincaid - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Lower taxes in FL probably made $$ equal

• proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM

That was my thought.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM

The Mets offered a few dollars more, but Tampa is closer to home and the taxes
        made the offer a pick em and he picked to be closer to home. I wish him the best.

• dcfan4life - Jan 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Ya dunno how the article forgets to mention the tax break in Florida here…

• rbj1 - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Exactly.New York has both a state and city income tax. Florida has no income tax. I’m sure an accountant could figure out what the price point would need to be to take that into account.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Taxes aren’t “lower” in Florida. There are no income taxes here.

• vivabear - Jan 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM

“Lower taxes in FL probably made $$ equal”

Gator – this was the orignal comment you are referring to. The comment suggests that an individual living and working in New York state has a lower income tax than an individual making similar money living and working in Florida. The federal income tax is going to be the same in either state. It appears NY has an 8.82% income tax for individuals making in excess of $1M annually. So that 8.82% does make the income tax in FL lower. Which makes your comment asinine – typical cocksuckery from you.

You are also wrong when you type: “There are no income taxes here.” Obviously FL residents still are subject to the US income tax.

• indaburg - Jan 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM

vivabear, Old Gator simply meant Florida has no state income tax, and you know this is what he meant. Don’t be so literal. Obviously, since Florida is part of the union, much to the rest of the nation’s chagrin, we are subject to federal income tax.

The original comment was also technically correct. No state income tax is absolutely lower since zero is as low as you can get.

It was completely unnecessary to resort to name calling and rude behavior.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 23, 2014 at 8:46 PM

indaburg old gasser doesn’t know what he means, don’t worry its lights out at the nursing home and they take away his computer now so he will be having sweet dreams in his depends right about now

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Indy – Vivabore is, of course, a sententious jackass. Much as I love ya, it was as unnecessary for you to waste your time on replying to his idiotic post as it was technically for the dummy to pretend he didn’t know what I meant – although, of course, he is such a moron that perhaps he didn’t. Maybe I should keep an open mind on the subject. And of course, he and our virtual village idiot, Poor Dim Harry, go together like a couple of lovebugs on a Florida windshield.

• vivabear - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Indaburg, point taken. U said it urself, the original comment was correct…so why does old gasser need have create an idiotic retort, pretending as though he doesn’t understand. Old gasser goes on to call me a moron for doing basically the same thing he did – taking something in its literal form. Shows how out of touch with reality he is.

• Old Gator - Jan 24, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Hilarious to see Poor Dim Vivabore channeling Dirty Harrybear. As I said, like a couple of lovebugs. But look, Vivabore, if you want to insist that you didn’t understand something I wrote that would have been clear as spit to the educably retarded, I won’t argue with you. Yes, you really are that stupid. Happy now?

• vivabear - Jan 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Once again, Old Pederast, you completely miss the point of everyone else’s comments. You still have no answer for why you call me stupid, and a moron for doing basically the same thing you’ve done. Although I was mocking you, you actually thought you were funny. Which you never are. I imagine now that I’ve pointed all this out, you will see you’ve been made to look like an idiot and no longer respond in this thread.

• fathersworkandfamily - Jan 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Athletes and performers pay state income tax in the states where they work. Balfour will pay Pennsylvania taxes on the $ he earns from playing in Pitt or Philly, for example. The state income tax difference is not nothing, but is not as large as moist people think.

3. historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I’m confused.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM

me too, they are reporting the Mets are claiming to have him signed.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I’m against cross-league players, for the record. Polyteamary is against God’s plan. One or the other, people. You can’t play for both teams.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM

don’t feel bad, old gasser woke up today thinking he was Ethel Merman until they gave him his meds.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM

And Poor Dim Harry woke up who he was going to pretend to be related to today in an attempt to alleviate his overpowering sense of insignificance.

4. Ayana Rashed - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Reblogged this on Imarashed.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:45 PM

thanks, I thought you didn’t want to reblog, I was devastated at first.
      keep up the good work.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Another word for what is going on is plagiarism.

5. tmhofficial - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

The Mets intrigue me with their team building strategy. Grandy, but not Drew. Colon, but not any of the younger options on the market. Now Balfour?

Seems legit.

6. tfbuckfutter - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Getting paid more money but having to play for the Mets is an example of winning and losing at the same time.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:47 PM

oh boy, that hurt!
      imagine that call, we will give you more, ahhh, no thanks!

7. lew24 - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Also he can close against the Orioles a few times this year.

8. xdj511 - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM

It’s the Mets… so you have to look at them making the highest offer to Grant Balfour (post Orioles) as some kind of victory.

9. spudchukar - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Paid for by the luxury tax contribution of the big spending Yankees and Dodgers. Thanks, there is a poetic justice in the idea.

10. nymets4ever - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Eh, can’t fault a guy for wanting to be close to home, especially when he already has his millions. I’m just glad to see the Mets aren’t done spending.

11. billybawl - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM

He was in Tampa Bay not that long ago, so could also read into this that he likes playing for Joe Maddon, or at least prefers the known quantity.

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM

“a closer is going to want to to a winning team because that leads to more saves.”

This is not true. Saves and even save opportunities are incredibly tough to predict from year to year. Perhaps it is because bad teams win most of the games they win by lesser margins, or whatever reason, but bad teams have not produced significantly lower numbers of save opportunities over the years.

At least that is what I read on Fangraphs a couple of years ago, and the information has served me well in fantasy baseball.

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Now that you mention it, I had a pretty profitable three months last year with Jose Veras as the Astros’ closer on my fantasy roster.

It’s just like you said. If the Astros were winning at all they were winning close, so he was getting a fair number of opportunities. And his set up men were so bad they kept bumping him up, too.

Then they traded him to Detroit and he became a semi-anonymous setup man.

• historiophiliac - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM

And he wasn’t a winner for us. :(

13. NYTolstoy - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Funny enough my first reaction was Muahahahahhaha! But after I controlled myself it could be more then just competition. As he said home had something to do with it. Plus new Yorks tax is petty steep for ball players why Florida doesn’t have such an issue for the talented rich. Unless they offered him alot more it probably was the same amount after taxes.

14. whacko4flacco - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Playing in the AL East and getting 19 chances to shove it up the Orioles @$$ might have played a factor too.

15. themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Man. The Mets can’t even buy a close.

16. thebadguyswon - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

No one wants to play for the Mets unless they overpay. They are a complete joke of an organization that does nothing but lose and bash their players. Fred and Jeff Wilpon are akin to disciples of Satan that care about nothing other than maintaining ownership of the team.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM

PLEASE contract the Mets and put us out of our misery.

17. mtr75 - Jan 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I’m willing to bet the Mets’ offer was largely deferred money. Dude wants to get paid now.

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 23, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I’m willing to bet the Mets offered to include him in their next Ponzi scheme.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS