Jan 23, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Earlier this afternoon word began to circulate that the Tampa Bay Rays plan a “significant baseball-related announcement” today, and that the team’s owner, GM and manager will all be on hand for it. While many folks had a lot of fun speculating fantastical possibilities, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! reports that the Rays are “deep into discussions with closer Grant Balfour. Suggesting that the announcement today will be a signing.
Balfour had a deal in place with the Orioles last month, but the team put the kibosh on it due to concerns about his wrist that they say came up during his physical. Balfour forcefully denied that anything was wrong with him.
Balfour posted a 2.35 ERA in his three years with Oakland while notching 64 saves. He pitched for the Rays from 2007 through 2010, so this would be a homecoming. And being in the same division as the Orioles, expect a lot of glares up to the GM’s box every time he closes one out in Baltimore.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)