Jan 23, 2014, 8:39 AM EDT
Baseball America reports that Rusney Castillo, a top Cuban center fielder, has defected. Castillo is 26 and, because he has played for five years in Cuba’s top professional league, he is exempt from international signing bonus limits, thereby making him a totally unrestricted free agent. Well, eventually an unrestricted free agent. It’ll take some months for him to establish residency and be cleared by the U.S. government to be eligible.
Once he is eligible, however, he should draw a lot of interest. BA says that while he’s only 5’9″, he has a powerful, athletic frame. A gap hitter with speed to burn. Check out their entire take on Castillo here.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 1
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 4
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)