Jan 23, 2014, 8:39 AM EDT
Baseball America reports that Rusney Castillo, a top Cuban center fielder, has defected. Castillo is 26 and, because he has played for five years in Cuba’s top professional league, he is exempt from international signing bonus limits, thereby making him a totally unrestricted free agent. Well, eventually an unrestricted free agent. It’ll take some months for him to establish residency and be cleared by the U.S. government to be eligible.
Once he is eligible, however, he should draw a lot of interest. BA says that while he’s only 5’9″, he has a powerful, athletic frame. A gap hitter with speed to burn. Check out their entire take on Castillo here.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)