Top Cuban center fielder Rusney Castillo defects

Jan 23, 2014, 8:39 AM EDT

Cuba

Baseball America reports that Rusney Castillo, a top Cuban center fielder, has defected. Castillo is 26 and, because he has played for five years in Cuba’s top professional league, he is exempt from international signing bonus limits, thereby making him a totally unrestricted free agent. Well, eventually an unrestricted free agent. It’ll take some months for him to establish residency and be cleared by the U.S. government to be eligible.

Once he is eligible, however, he should draw a lot of interest. BA says that while he’s only 5’9″, he has a powerful, athletic frame. A gap hitter with speed to burn. Check out their entire take on Castillo here.

1. Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Oh I just wuv bidding wars.

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Yeah, OG, I’ll bet I can name two teams that will be on the sidelines for this one.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 23, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Yankees don’t need any more out fielders, were out.

1.Everyone else
        2.Yankees.

I hope indaburg doesn’t see this, my arrogance will kill him.

• hk62 - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

And the Astros should be on the side lines. They have many outfielders that profile similar or better (different) and DDS Jr is this guy at 1/10th the money. Why can’t a power hitting 3B defect from Cuba?

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM

evil: Indy is a she.

hk62: Houston is one of the two teams averred to by stex.

evil again: a bidding war without the Borg is like vichyssoise without pepper.

• raysfan1 - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I’d think the Rays being non bidders is likely too. He only goes to Miami or the Tampa Bay Area if he wants to be with a sizable Cuban community.

I’ll take stex’ word for it that Houston won’t make a serious bid, so that’s at least 3 abstainers.

OG, it may mean I’m a philistine, but I’ll only accept that vichyssoise hot. No cold soup for me, thanks.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Hot vichyssoise is like peanut butter and jelly on a communion wafer.

• raysfan1 - Jan 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I’d eat PB&J on a communion wafer, no problem. You might even have just started a new food fad–PBJ communion sliders!

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Houston just traded for Dexter Fowler. Their number one prospect for 2014 is George Springer, a RF-CF candidate. Not like the Astros’ outfield was any good in 2013, but they have already addressed that. They need pitching pitching pitching and maybe another corner infielder before they go to the outfield again.

• stex52 - Jan 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM

And hot vichyssoise sounds truly awful, but PB-J communion wafers gives me the creeps.

• raysfan1 - Jan 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Perfectly okay to eat potato soup hot, and that’s all vichyssoise really is, after all.
        Recipe:

As for the PBJ communion sliders, they’d go just fine with the purple grape juice we Protestants use at communion instead of wine.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I like the jars of Vaseline you Protestants use instead of intercourse.

2. kcrobert10 - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM

My question is when can we finally get past this cold war era nonsense. Its 2014 time to end outdated policies. Is doing business with the Castro brothers any worse than China. I don’t condone their actions but isn’t that for the Cuban people to decide who they want to lead. If enough of them want them out they will do it.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Oh don’t get me started on our right wing dinosaur Cuban dog-wagging political tail retarded counterproductive self-demeaning imbecilic Castro-preserving hypocritical horsecrap Cuba policy…..

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM

What’s this about right wing dinosaur Cuban dog-wagging political…other stuff

I am intrigued. Tell us more

• mrpinkca - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM

We’ll get past it the day Florida loses some of it’s 27 electoral college votes.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:47 AM

New Jersey will have to lose a few too – for some reason, I think the second largest Cuban-American community is thereabouts, or at least used to be. Fortunately, it’s beginning to look like enough New Jersey politicians might kill each other orf by the next census that it could actually happen.

But we’ll cross that bridge when we….awwww, no. I can’t….

• asimonetti88 - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I believe part of the problem comes from the Cuban side. If I remember correctly, leaving the country is frowned upon by the Cuban government.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Farking troublemaker, that’s what you are.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM

sigh. The previous post was meant to underlie the good doctor smug’s obvious efforts to take advantage of my logorrhea. Well, too late. My morning meds have kicked in already. There will be no desolation of smug this PM.

asimonetti: well, most of the problem comes from the despots on the Cuban side. That doesn’t change the fact that our response to them has been right wing Cuban dinosaur tail wagging the foreign policy dog stupid, though.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I can’t help it OG, someone tells me not to do something, I gotta do it.

It’s a medical condition. One I diagnosed and I did my thesis on to graduate internet medical school.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Considering that the policy has lasted as long as it has through as many administrations as it has, calling it a right wing policy seems a bit incorrect.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM

It would be if I were calling the administrations themselves right wing.

The policy is, however, a relict right-wing: mindlessly encrusted, indiscriminately anti-“communist” farrago meant to placate the gradually self-extinguishing first-generation Cuban exile constituency and hang onto those critical Florida electoral votes. In that sense, the cowardice of non-conservative centrist administrations in failing to dump it was pragmatic rather than ideological – a matter of what among political professionals is known as “rising above principle.” It’s got a life of its own like, oh, Baseball’s antitrust exemption.

In recent polls, slim but growing majorities of Cuban-Americans, consisting largely of second and third generation voters who have no firsthand experience of the “old Cuba” or of Castro’s regime and many of whom are so “Americanized” that they couldn’t care less, have expressed willingness to dump the embargo on all nonstrategic goods and lift all travel restrictions to the island. Obama carried something like 40% of the Cuban-American vote, which would have been unthinkable even ten years ago.

In the wake of Slobbering Ozzie’s witless “I love Castro” gaffe a few years back, I drove over to Macondo Banana Massacre Field to check out the “huge rally” to fire Ozzie being talked up on right-wing Cuban radio as well as on our local spawrts torque raydeeo shows. As I reported here directly from the scene, and as many of our long-timers will doubtless recall, the “huge rally” consisted mainly of several dozen abuelas and abuelos with the nietos they were babysitting, and the demonstrators were outnumbered by the cops, journalists and concessionaires (the latter looking very disappointed by the turnout; a lot of arepas got fed to the squirrels when the party ended later in the day and one assumes that the dogs got the pinchos).

Nevertheless the policy remains, like the scar from a brain injury, but its days are clearly numbered. If Hillary wins, she’ll treat it like a businesswoman, and it’ll be blessedly dead.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I doubt any president would be able to end it without hearing from the “higher ups” if you know what I mean.

• Old Gator - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM

But Hillary doesn’t have a wife.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM

That we *know* of

3. canadiansportsfan77 - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

With the Jays dangling Colby in trade talks, and with Gose not looking ready to take over the duties, or with Melky and Colby potential FA after this yr, it would make sense for the Jays to pursue him.

The fact he can play 2B might not hurt either, barring he looks competent while playing the INF

4. nymets4ever - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Mets should be all-in on this

5. kappy32 - Jan 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Hello Mets?!?! I hope you’re paying attention. He’s Juan Legares except he can hit.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:38 PM