Jan 24, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Wood was a big bright spot for the Cubs last season, throwing 200 innings with a 3.11 ERA after coming into the year with a 4.22 ERA in 365 innings through age 25.
Around midseason Wood talked about wanting to sign a long-term deal to remain in Chicago, but the Cubs might be hesitant to buy high on a mid-rotation starter and they already control him through 2016 anyway.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 51
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)