Jan 24, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Wood was a big bright spot for the Cubs last season, throwing 200 innings with a 3.11 ERA after coming into the year with a 4.22 ERA in 365 innings through age 25.
Around midseason Wood talked about wanting to sign a long-term deal to remain in Chicago, but the Cubs might be hesitant to buy high on a mid-rotation starter and they already control him through 2016 anyway.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (121)