Jan 24, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Wood was a big bright spot for the Cubs last season, throwing 200 innings with a 3.11 ERA after coming into the year with a 4.22 ERA in 365 innings through age 25.
Around midseason Wood talked about wanting to sign a long-term deal to remain in Chicago, but the Cubs might be hesitant to buy high on a mid-rotation starter and they already control him through 2016 anyway.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)