Jan 24, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Grant Balfour agreed to a two-year, $15 million contract with the Orioles in mid-December before they claimed he failed a physical exam and nixed the deal.
More than a month later Balfour signed a two-year, $12 million contract with the Rays and at the press conference yesterday he repeatedly stressed that he’s “100 percent healthy” while implying that the Orioles did him dirty:
I’ve had an eventful offseason to say the least. That was a bit of a stressful thing to see that go down knowing that I knew I was perfectly healthy. I did take a physical [for the Rays], and I passed with flying colors, apparently.
What happened there in Baltimore is in the past. It was something that, to be honest with you, I had other offers on the table and other teams telling me that I didn’t have to take a physical because they believed in my medicals and everything that they’d heard, that I didn’t even have to go and take a physical with them.
I’m totally healthy–100 percent healthy–and you’ll see that when I take the field April 1 here. I’m looking forward to it.
Balfour ultimately landed in a good spot, with a good team and a multi-year contract at age 37, but the Orioles backing out of the original deal cost him $3 million and for a pitcher getting what may be his last big payday that’s probably pretty tough to swallow.
It should be interesting when he takes the mound against Baltimore for the first time.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 7
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)