Jan 24, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins have signed utilityman Ty Wigginton to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Wigginton will be competing for a bench job. He can play first, second, and third, and even has experience in the outfield corners.
Wigginton was unproductive with the Cardinals last year, posting a .158/.238/.193 line in 63 trips to the plate. He has posted negative WAR in four out of the last five seasons, combining for -2.6, according to Baseball Reference. The only players less valuable than Wigginton, minimum 1,000 plate appearances since 2009, have been Yuniesky Betancourt (-6.5 WAR) and Greg Dobbs (-3.8).
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)