Jan 24, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins have signed utilityman Ty Wigginton to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Wigginton will be competing for a bench job. He can play first, second, and third, and even has experience in the outfield corners.
Wigginton was unproductive with the Cardinals last year, posting a .158/.238/.193 line in 63 trips to the plate. He has posted negative WAR in four out of the last five seasons, combining for -2.6, according to Baseball Reference. The only players less valuable than Wigginton, minimum 1,000 plate appearances since 2009, have been Yuniesky Betancourt (-6.5 WAR) and Greg Dobbs (-3.8).
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 300
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (302)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)