Matt Harvey is feeling great, pushing his rehab schedule as hard as he can

Jan 24, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT

Matt Harvey Getty Images

Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal caught up with Matt Harvey and updates us on his rehab. Short version: everything is feeling great. Almost too great:

Harvey says he has progressed from rehabbing his arm to regular upper-body workouts, and he hopes to begin playing catch by the end of February. He believes he is going as fast, and doing as well, as the rehab schedule allows. He says he has felt no pain, that there have been no setbacks, and that his rehab coordinator at the Hospital for Special Surgery has had to slow the recovery timetable for its own sake.

Harvey wants to begin throwing in February and, if he had his way, would pitch in 2014. He knows he doesn’t have his way, however, and that the Mets are not going to risk several years of their future with Harvey at the top of their rotation in the interests of having him pitch some, in all likelihood, meaningless games this September.

Also worth nothing that in recent years a lot of pitchers, especially younger ones, have been quoted as feeling fantastic in the months after their Tommy John surgery, and are almost surprised that they don’t have pain and all of that. But what most of them learn is that pain is not the issue at all. It’s all about touch and feel over pitches. That’s the reason the timetable for Tommy John is what it is, not just the actual physical recovery.

1. nymets4ever - Jan 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I admire Harvey’s talent, toughess, and determination. I believe he will come back strong and lead the Mets to a Championship sometime in the next five years.

• sdelmonte - Jan 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Or at least into the playoffs.

As long as someone stops him from rushing

• fanofevilempire - Jan 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I agree, considering the Mets and history of injuries to their star players they better
      watch this kid, he is really special and I like the Bull dog in him.

2. sdelmonte - Jan 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Here’s hoping that management is able to control him. While RGIII’s injury and sport are different, it’s clear from such things that coming back too soon from an injury can be folly.

• Old Gator - Jan 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Case in point, Josh Johnson’s humiliating season last year. He let the urge to have a killer walk year get the better of him and wound up with a killer walk year after all – just not in the idiom he hoped for. I’m looking forward to years of great Harvey-Kershaw and Harvey- Fernandez matchups. Just let the kid heal up properly first, please.

3. xdj511 - Jan 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Matt. Chill out. Just keep hanging out with Henrik Lundqvist and hooking up with hot Russian models. Take the year off. Work on the great american novel or something. Maybe SNY will let you become a guest commentator for a couple of innings with Gary, Keith, and Ron.

Whatever you do, don’t try to come back too fast. The projected rotation of Wheeler, Colon, Niese, Gee, and de Grom/Montero/Syndergaard is actually pretty solid. Just concentrate on coming back strong in 2015.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

ok, but can’t only have Russian must try all flavors, I’ve been watching Jeter.

• Old Gator - Jan 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I love Jeter Fudge Mocha Ripple.

4. yousuxxors - Jan 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I can’t wait for the bulldog to pitch again. he gives me hope that the mets are finally on the right path. I’m sure something will fucjed that up but all I have as a mets fan is hope.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM

keep hope alive, I will say a prayer for the Mets.

• happytwinsfan - Jan 24, 2014 at 4:14 PM

and the Redsox too?

5. cackalackyank - Jan 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Agree totally. The physical recovery, healing is not the issue. I have had elbow surgery, not “Tommy John” though, and of course I am not an MLB pitcher. The arm, for me anyway was almost better than before. However, it was necessary to change and adjust the way I used it to do certain things, because in certain ways it was actually stronger than before.

• Old Gator - Jan 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Too bad we use our elbows so minimally during sex. Imagine all the elbow surgery ads in the back pages of all the local “alternative weeklies.”

• bbk1000 - Jan 25, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Since you are probably alone during sex I’m sure your elbow get a little workout…..just a little…

6. sportsfan18 - Jan 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Let’s see…

The team says he will NOT pitch this year.

The player wants to pitch and is pushing as hard as possible so he may be ready to pitch near the end of the season.

The player and his agent apparently don’t understand simple English words like “he will not pitch this year”.

Said player might (I said might) push so hard while rehabbing to get to the point where he could pitch this year and he could very well injure himself while pushing so hard in rehab when he has another 5 months left to rehab (Sept thru Jan).

I’m a baseball fan and I want to see Harvey pitch, Stras pitch and all of the others… but why push so hard when you’re not going to pitch and increase the possibility of injuring himself?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet