Jan 24, 2014, 9:44 AM EST
Daniel Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal caught up with Matt Harvey and updates us on his rehab. Short version: everything is feeling great. Almost too great:
Harvey says he has progressed from rehabbing his arm to regular upper-body workouts, and he hopes to begin playing catch by the end of February. He believes he is going as fast, and doing as well, as the rehab schedule allows. He says he has felt no pain, that there have been no setbacks, and that his rehab coordinator at the Hospital for Special Surgery has had to slow the recovery timetable for its own sake.
Harvey wants to begin throwing in February and, if he had his way, would pitch in 2014. He knows he doesn’t have his way, however, and that the Mets are not going to risk several years of their future with Harvey at the top of their rotation in the interests of having him pitch some, in all likelihood, meaningless games this September.
Also worth nothing that in recent years a lot of pitchers, especially younger ones, have been quoted as feeling fantastic in the months after their Tommy John surgery, and are almost surprised that they don’t have pain and all of that. But what most of them learn is that pain is not the issue at all. It’s all about touch and feel over pitches. That’s the reason the timetable for Tommy John is what it is, not just the actual physical recovery.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 85
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)