Jan 24, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Mets have checked in with free agent reliever Fernando Rodney as well as many other relievers, hoping that prices had fallen “way down”. An executive Sherman spoke to said that he wouldn’t classify anything as “hot”.
The Mets’ bullpen is comprised of a lot of young arms, including 29-year-old closer Bobby Parnell. However, Parnell is recovering from a herniated disk his neck which knocked him out of the final two months of the 2013 season. He underwent surgery in September, but recent reports have indicated that the right-hander looks “great”. Still, it’s always good to have another option in the event Parnell can’t stay on the field or has lost effectiveness.
Rodney, who turns 37 years old on March 18, is coming off of two great seasons with the Rays. In 2012, he wound up fifth in AL Cy Young voting after he finished with a 0.60 ERA and 48 saves in 74 2/3 innings of work. Last year, he finished at 3.38 with 37 saves in 66 2/3 innings. Rodney’s strikeout rates in each of the past two seasons (27%, 28%) have both been the highest of his career.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)