Jan 24, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
MLB.com prospect experts Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis released their top 100 list yesterday and to absolutely no one’s surprise 20-year-old Twins center field prospect Byron Buxton is in the top spot.
Buxton split last year between two levels of Single-A, batting .334 with 49 extra-base hits, 76 walks, and 55 stolen bases in 125 games in his first full pro season. He’s expected to begin this season at Double-A.
Buxton–who also ranked as the No. 1 prospect according to Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, and basically everywhere else–is followed by infielder Xander Bogaerts of the Red Sox, outfielder Oscar Taveras of the Cardinals, third baseman Miguel Sano of the Twins, and right-hander Archie Bradley of the Diamondbacks.
Click here for the entire MLB.com list, which includes write-ups for each player.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)