Jan 24, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
The Red Sox have signed lefty reliever Jose Mijares to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Mijares, 29, has had mixed results over the last four seasons, but has shown that he has the potential to be effective out of the bullpen.
Last season, with the Giants, Mijares posted a 4.22 ERA in 49 innings. He was victimized by a .416 batting average on balls in play, so it stands to reason if all else remains the same, he should find more success in 2014. In 2012, between the Royals and Giants, Mijares posted a 2.56 ERA in 56 1/3 innings of work.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)