Jan 24, 2014, 7:41 AM EST
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins are interested in Vernon Wells.
Wells was released by the Yankees after hitting just .233/.282/.349 with 11 homers over 130 games last year. And that was after a relatively fast start. He has surprised folks before with little bouncebacks, but at 35 it’s not a great bet to expect that he’ll be particularly useful going forward.
Of course he costs virtually nothing and could quite possibly be had on a minor league deal now. If you’re looking for a right-handed bench bat/backup outfielder you could probably do worse. Not much worse, but by all accounts Wells is a nice person, so there’s that.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)