Jan 24, 2014, 7:41 AM EDT
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins are interested in Vernon Wells.
Wells was released by the Yankees after hitting just .233/.282/.349 with 11 homers over 130 games last year. And that was after a relatively fast start. He has surprised folks before with little bouncebacks, but at 35 it’s not a great bet to expect that he’ll be particularly useful going forward.
Of course he costs virtually nothing and could quite possibly be had on a minor league deal now. If you’re looking for a right-handed bench bat/backup outfielder you could probably do worse. Not much worse, but by all accounts Wells is a nice person, so there’s that.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)