Jan 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, 21st Century FOX announced an agreement Friday to raise its ownership stake in YES Network from 49 percent of 80 percent, thus taking majority control. The deal is expected to close by the end of March.
Fox originally bought in on YES in 2012 and had the right to increase their stake to 80 percent. The Yankees, who have never had a majority share in the network according to Newsday, will continue to own the remaining 20 percent after the deal is finalized.
Here’s a statement from Yankees co-chairman Hal Steinbrenner:
“Clearly, 21st Century Fox is a great partner for us as the YES Network fulfills and expands its potential as one of the nation’s premier regional sports networks. We are gratified that 21st Century Fox has increased their stake and investment in the network. Yankee Global Enterprises is eager to continue working with 21st Century Fox as we explore ways to take YES to even greater heights.”
Wendy Thurm, who does an excellent job tracking the various television rights deals over at FanGraphs, writes that this will result in more cash for the Yankees. While it’s not quite on the level of the Dodgers, Thurm estimates that they’ll receive somewhere in the range of $150 million annually.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 146
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)