Jan 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, 21st Century FOX announced an agreement Friday to raise its ownership stake in YES Network from 49 percent of 80 percent, thus taking majority control. The deal is expected to close by the end of March.
Fox originally bought in on YES in 2012 and had the right to increase their stake to 80 percent. The Yankees, who have never had a majority share in the network according to Newsday, will continue to own the remaining 20 percent after the deal is finalized.
Here’s a statement from Yankees co-chairman Hal Steinbrenner:
“Clearly, 21st Century Fox is a great partner for us as the YES Network fulfills and expands its potential as one of the nation’s premier regional sports networks. We are gratified that 21st Century Fox has increased their stake and investment in the network. Yankee Global Enterprises is eager to continue working with 21st Century Fox as we explore ways to take YES to even greater heights.”
Wendy Thurm, who does an excellent job tracking the various television rights deals over at FanGraphs, writes that this will result in more cash for the Yankees. While it’s not quite on the level of the Dodgers, Thurm estimates that they’ll receive somewhere in the range of $150 million annually.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 23
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)