Jan 25, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
The latest on Matt Garza is that there’s nothing new to report.
The Brewers and Garza reportedly agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract on Thursday, but the team later announced that negotiations were ongoing and that no deal had been reached. The announcement was rather odd, especially when coupled with the news that he took a physical and was expected to be introduced as a press conference. As Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports, both sides were staying tight-lipped yesterday on the nature of the hold-up:
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin did not immediately respond to a telephone message, and assistant GM Gord Ash said he couldn’t comment. Garza’s agent, Nez Balelo, also declined to comment.
One source privy to the negotiations said there was no update as of mid-afternoon, and advised to “stay tuned.” He declined to say, even in general terms, what was impeding the deal.
Many have speculated that something came up during the physical, understandable given Garza’s injury history, but reports have indicated that the delay is not related to medical concerns. The Brewers have their annual “Brewers On Deck” fan fest scheduled for tomorrow, which could make for some awkward times if the silence continues.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)