Jan 25, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
The latest on Matt Garza is that there’s nothing new to report.
The Brewers and Garza reportedly agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract on Thursday, but the team later announced that negotiations were ongoing and that no deal had been reached. The announcement was rather odd, especially when coupled with the news that he took a physical and was expected to be introduced as a press conference. As Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports, both sides were staying tight-lipped yesterday on the nature of the hold-up:
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin did not immediately respond to a telephone message, and assistant GM Gord Ash said he couldn’t comment. Garza’s agent, Nez Balelo, also declined to comment.
One source privy to the negotiations said there was no update as of mid-afternoon, and advised to “stay tuned.” He declined to say, even in general terms, what was impeding the deal.
Many have speculated that something came up during the physical, understandable given Garza’s injury history, but reports have indicated that the delay is not related to medical concerns. The Brewers have their annual “Brewers On Deck” fan fest scheduled for tomorrow, which could make for some awkward times if the silence continues.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)