Jan 25, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
The latest on Matt Garza is that there’s nothing new to report.
The Brewers and Garza reportedly agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract on Thursday, but the team later announced that negotiations were ongoing and that no deal had been reached. The announcement was rather odd, especially when coupled with the news that he took a physical and was expected to be introduced as a press conference. As Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports, both sides were staying tight-lipped yesterday on the nature of the hold-up:
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin did not immediately respond to a telephone message, and assistant GM Gord Ash said he couldn’t comment. Garza’s agent, Nez Balelo, also declined to comment.
One source privy to the negotiations said there was no update as of mid-afternoon, and advised to “stay tuned.” He declined to say, even in general terms, what was impeding the deal.
Many have speculated that something came up during the physical, understandable given Garza’s injury history, but reports have indicated that the delay is not related to medical concerns. The Brewers have their annual “Brewers On Deck” fan fest scheduled for tomorrow, which could make for some awkward times if the silence continues.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (149)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)