Jan 25, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
At the start of the offseason, Ubaldo Jimenez appeared poised to leave the Indians for a big money contract in free agency, but he’s still trying to find a home with spring training just a few weeks away. Perhaps things will pick up now that Masahiro Tanaka has signed with the Yankees, but Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer envisions a scenario where the 30-year-old right-hander could return to Cleveland:
If Jimenez can’t get a three to four year deal, and comes knocking on the Tribe’s door, I bet both parties would jump at the chance to sign a one-year deal at or below $14 million. It would allow the Indians to keep a grip on their payroll and add a key arm to their rotation, while giving Jimenez a chance to prove last year wasn’t a fluke and take another bite of the free-agent apple after the 2014 season.
Jimenez had a 4.56 ERA through the All-Star break last season, but he appeared rejuvenated with a 1.82 ERA and 100/27 K/BB ratio in 84 innings across 13 starts during the second half. There’s risk involved with making a big investment based on a small sample, especially when teams have to give up a top draft pick along with it, so there’s no guarantee he’ll find the contract he’s looking for. If Jimenez returns to Cleveland on a one-year deal and has another big season under the tutelage of pitching coach Mickey Callaway, teams would likely line up with confidence next winter. It’s something to keep in mind, anyway.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)