Sandy Koufax presented the NL Cy Young award to Clayton Kershaw

Jan 25, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT

Major League Baseball’s award winners were presented with their hardware tonight at the Baseball Writers Association of America dinner at the New York Hilton. Hall of Fame managers Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa, and Joe Torre were honored. Wil Myers and Jose Fernandez picked up their Rookie of the Year awards for the American and National League, respectively. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle presented center fielder Andrew McCutchen with the NL MVP award, while Tigers Miguel Cabrera and Max Scherzer received their AL MVP and Cy Young awards, respectively.

Also of note, Dodgers lefty Clayton Kershaw was presented with the NL Cy Young award from Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax. MLB’s Public Relations Twitter has pictures:

1. mmeyer3387 - Jan 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM

This was one of the greatest HOFpitchers giving the 2013 CY award to another who may also be a HOF someday.

• dcarroll73 - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:15 AM

As a life-long Giant fan (from when they played in NY) let me write that I fully expect Kershaw to be a HOFer, and that photo will someday rank with the one showing a young Bill Clinton with JFK. Great photo! And Sandy, thanks for all the wonderful memories. You had to leave the game too soon.

• gibbyfan - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM

If there is any pitcher out there who might someday ‘be the next Koufax’ Kershaw might be it. Two of the most awesome lefthanders ever, even if comparing baseball players to leaders of the free worls might be a little bit of a stretch, I do get the concept

2. Old Gator - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Kershaw must have been thrilled. Anyone know where his response can be read?

3. vikesdynasty - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:01 AM

Bill Clinton and JFK?? Really? I need some or your kool-aid.

• Joe Vecchio - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:25 AM

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uErdlyTUo&w=420&h=315%5D

• Professor Fate - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:42 AM

This ranks right up there with the college student who went on social media to call her professor an idiot for claiming the sun is a star.

• yahmule - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Now I gotta find this.

4. cohnjusack - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Ahh, Sandy Koufax.
    First 8 years: 68-60, 3.71 ERA
    Last 4 years: 97-27, 1.86 ERA

But my very favorite Sandy Koufax stat:
    0.95 ERA in 8 postseason games (7 starts)
    …and a postseason record of 4-3.
    Yep, he gave up 6 earned runs in 7 postseason starts and lost 3 of them.
    Tsk tsk tsk, someone just didn’t know how to pitch to the score!

• paperlions - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Imagine what he career could have been if modern medicine could have fixed his arm.

• rbj1 - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Obviously he was lacking in the Will to Win department.

Also noted that Andy Pettitte got an award from the BBWAA:

Baseball writers are enabling drug cheats!

5. 6stn - Jan 26, 2014 at 7:19 AM

And in three of his last four seasons, he was a unanimous winner of The Cy Young Award, when it was only given to one Major League pitcher. His last year: 27 wins, 27 complete games.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM

the only pitcher I wish I could have seen play

• stex52 - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I did. It’s hard to imagine now the extent he dominated for that period. Virtually every stadium he pitched in his top years would be near sell out.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

being a left hander which I am and as a youngster I did pitch and was decent at doing so I have always been interested in Sandy and looking at his numbers just blows me away. The only other pitcher who I did get to see that I thought was incredible was JR Richard in his prime he was unhittable also and I never forgot buying bubble gum cards and seeing after his stroke how it said on the back “did not play” and I didn’t know why because we were not on the interest in “82 but his numbers were staggering almost as much as Sandy’s. I love great pitching, I hate all offense, same as football, show me a great defense and you got my heart. I want to see the side strikeout on 9 pitches

• stex52 - Jan 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Wow, harry. Something in common. I’m about pitching and defense myself.

7. stex52 - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:32 PM

It is likely that Kershaw will be regarded as one of the best on his own. But what an honor that must be.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 26, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Kershaw is special, no doubt about it and that had to be one hell of a honor. One lefty to another, I admire Kershaw and his talent

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet