With Michael Young considering retirement, GM Jon Daniels wants him to retire as a Ranger

Jan 25, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT

Michael Young AP AP

About two weeks ago, we learned that infielder Michael Young is thinking about retiring after 13 full seasons in the Majors. Young, 37, split time between the Phillies and Dodgers last year, posting a .730 OPS. He has shown mediocre power in each of his last two seasons and his defense has been less and less reliable. If he were to retire now, he would have a career batting average right at .300, certainly a nice round number to take with him.

GM Jon Daniels wants Young to retire as a Ranger when the time comes, reports Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Young has been a Ranger since 2000, when the Blue Jays sent him to Texas with Darwin Cubillan for starter Esteban Loaiza. Since then, Young has taken over 8,000 plate appearances as a Ranger and played every position in the infield for them as well as DH. The Rangers came close to winning it all with him in 2010 and 2011, but the Giants and Cardinals had other things in mind. It would certainly be fitting for Young to retire as a Ranger.

1. 78mu - Jan 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM

As a Cardinal fan, I’m just glad he didn’t retire before the NLCS last year.

• dinofrank60 - Jan 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM

That’s low…

2. cackalackyank - Jan 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM

He had a nice career with the Rangers to be sure. I can really applaud a guy that knows when to quit in spite of there probably being several million bucks out there for him if he wants to take it.

• doctornature - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Define “several million bucks”

After two years as one of the worst players in MLB, both offensively and defensively, there ain’t a chance in hell he gets a decent offer, and he won’t want to sit the bench for a couple million. As a Young fan since the Rangers got him, I wish he would go into managing, and replace Washington, who knows as much baseball strategy as the average first year Little Leaguer He is right to retire now, with a career .300. He helped the Ranger franchise get to respectability, but his usefulness as a player is history.

• cackalackyank - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I define “several” as more than 2, which depending on where he is willing to play he would easily be offered as a DH/fill in IF.

3. mmeyer3387 - Jan 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Could still be a quality DH for someone in AL.

• Reflex - Jan 25, 2014 at 11:56 PM

No. No he could not. His bat at this point is significantly below average, especially for a DH. He is a bench bat/utility infielder at best.

4. anxovies - Jan 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I can’t help it, I’m greedy. As long as there was somebody who is willing to pay me millions of $ a year they would have to drag me away from the game.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 25, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Are you kidding me? I would do it for free even though I am terrible. Play baseball all day every day? Sign me up!

• 18thstreet - Jan 26, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Yes, but after 12 years at a job, you might not have that same level of enthusiasm.

5. raysfan1 - Jan 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

When is knowing when to leave? To me, the only person who can answer that is the player. For some, the last image is important, so they should retire before getting too far past their prime. For most, I think it’s when preparing for the next season is no longer fun/exciting. Recovery from injury takes longer as one ages. Pain even from minor injuries lasts longer. Some never lose the drive to prepare and to compete despite knowing they cannot perform as well as they once did. For them, the right time is when can’t make a team anymore.

• dinofrank60 - Jan 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I agree; if somebody wants you to play and you want to play, then keep going.

Another thing is that people aren’t smart enough to remember a player at their best?

• Old Gator - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:16 AM

For me, when she runs out of dishes and starts throwing cutlery, that’s when to leave.

• Reflex - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:56 AM

You cracked my aunt up with that one. Nice job.

6. deep64blue - Jan 26, 2014 at 5:08 AM

The Rangers came close to winning it all with him in 2010 and 2011, but the Giants and Cardinals Ron Washington had other things in mind.

There fixed that for you.

• paperlions - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Young helped the Cardinals win far more than Ron Washington. He made errors and horrible mis-plays at 1B that led to their comeback in game 6.

• doctornature - Jan 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Washington made the worst mistake of all…hitting Young cleanup. Biggest managerial blunder in WS history. Cruz and Napoli were crushing HRs at an historical rate in the playoffs and were slotted 6th and 8th, while Washington’s BFF Young, a singles/occasional double man, was supposed to protect Hamilton batting 3rd. Both Hamilton and Young flopped. You can’t say for sure the results would be different with Nap or Cruz hitting cleanup but mentally, it had to crush the Rangers knowing what an idiot Washington was. No one on earth hits Young 4th except the Forrest Gump of MLB

7. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I think he has another 2 years left if he wanted too but I respect his choice

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3328)