Brewers, Matt Garza agree on a four-year, $50 million deal

Jan 26, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Texas Rangers Getty Images

On Thursday, we learned that the Brewers had signed free agent starter Matt Garza to a four-year, $52 million contract. However, the deal was never finalized and talks hit a standstill. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported earlier that the hold-up was related to certain language included in the contract.

Per Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Brewers owner Mark Attanasio says the two sides have a deal “in place”. Garza’s contract is for $50 million over four years and includes $4 million in incentives and a fifth-year vesting option worth $13 million, per MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy. So, potentially five years and $67 million. The deal is pending MLB and MLBPA approval.

Outfielder Ryan Braun and starter Yovani Gallardo, two Brewer stalwarts, were asked about the Garza deal, recently. Both were quite receptive to the addition.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM

According to another blog the deal is not for 4 years / $50MM guaranteed NOT $52MM. It also now includes $4MM in possible incentives Garza can get and a 5th year vesting option.

It seems like the holdup was do to more to the specifics then to just language.

• spudchukar - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM

UYF, my friend, that is what this post reports too.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Oops, I thought the headline and text of the piece was different when I posted my comment. But I could be wrong. Although it wouldn’t be the first time a blogger amended the blog. In any case my apologies.

• Bill Baer - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I did edit the post. It went up before the contract details were released. Apologies for any confusion.

• uyf1950 - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Bill, thank you I feel vindicated now.

2. jackrabbitz - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Good for brewers!

3. cogitobaseballergosum - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM

So the “language in the contract” was whether to spell it “fifty” or “fifty-two”?

• jwbiii - Jan 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Well, that and the $4m in performance bonuses and the vesting option.

4. jmbic - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Hope they’re not paying him to field bunts.

5. tfbuckfutter - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I think we can say one thing for certain…..Garza’s wife definitely won’t ask what happened to the other $2,000,000…..

You know, if she knows what’s good for her.

6. buffalo65 - Jan 26, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Over to you AA, you want Jimenez or Santana for 40 over 3?

7. missingdiz - Jan 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Of course Ryan Braun always tells the truth, whole and nothing but. Still, I don’t see Garza as one of the best in the game. In 2011 and the first half of last year he was knocking on the door. The rest of the time he’s been a bit better than average.

8. gibbyfan - Jan 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Surprised the Yanks didn’t go after him for that RELATIVELY cheap price and their need for pitching.

• cackalackyank - Jan 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Garza is not a reliever.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I think the brewers got a good deal here, that’s below market value and I bet he can be a 13-15 game winner too

10. buffalo65 - Jan 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM

If he can stay healthy it’s a good deal for sure.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5148)