Joba Chamberlain has lost 15 pounds, has discovered seafood

Jan 26, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT

joba chamberlain getty Getty Images

As with Prince Fielder, I’m inclined to wait for something more than mere weight loss to declare a Best Shape of His Life. It requires the weight loss along with some declaration — implied or explicit — that superior performance is soon to follow. Or a suggestion that the shape is unprecedented or something. Sure, if it’s dramatic weight loss — as we’re seeing with Pablo Sandoval — I’m inclined to slap a BSOHL on him. But otherwise a fat guy losing a little weight is not, in and of itself, BSOHL material.

But we should at least pay attention. As we are with Joba Chamberlain. Who, in addition to now being able to sport a beard, has lost some poundage. From the Detroit News:

Joba Chamberlain has lost weight (15 pounds) to get in better shape, and seems to have kind of personality fans are going to like.

By the way, to lose the weight, the right-handed reliever become a fish eater after having fish “maybe three times in my life” before his new nutrition program began.

“I’m from Nebraska,” he said. “We don’t have fish in Nebraska.”

Or maybe he just hasn’t looked very hard. And how he avoided good seafood while living in New York and taking multiple road trips to Boston, Baltimore and Tampa each year is beyond me. But let’s not scrutinize this any more than we need to.

1. historiophiliac - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM

STOP!!!!!!

• paperlions - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Considering his new found loves for beardedness and seafood, may I suggest a new nickname for him?

• cackalackyank - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I’m going to suggest Ahab.

• paperlions - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Not what I was hinting at.

• historiophiliac - Jan 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM

You want us to call him “paperlions”?

• paperlions - Jan 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Harhar.

Is it just me, or does it seem like, in general, the quality of the commenting just continues to get worse and worse, making it less and less entertaining and educational than it used to be?

• historiophiliac - Jan 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM

No, you’re right, Jobalions. Sometimes I wish it was a private club — which makes me hate the yahoos all the more for making me agree with the Founding Fathers on “the masses.” :(

2. tfbuckfutter - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM

It’s amazing how someone can become much more likable just by changing their hat.

• anxovies - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Nobody disliked Joba in NY, they just got tired of watching him walk people and throw rabbit balls. If he continues to do it in Detroit, people will get tired of him there.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I don’t care what people in NY think about anything.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I mean with regards to sports.

3. m3dman3 - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Yet he is still serving up meatballs to batters.

4. proudlycanadian - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Previously, he was a follower of the see food diet. See food! Eat food!

• Old Gator - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Yes, and given the way his career (and luck) has gone so far, he’s a prime candidate to develop iodism from eating too much seafood. Therefore, as a public service to Tigger fans everywhere and, of course, to Joba himself, here’s what to do if he shows the symptoms:

Bookmark this page, Joba.

• 1historian - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Canadian humor

5. pisano - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Yeah, ( the weight loss ) he’s probably staying off, or cutting back on the booze, that’s probably the biggest reason for the weight loss, plus when a team doesn’t even want to talk to you about a contract, as the Yankees did with him, it’s an eye opener, and he may be saying to himself, I better get serious about getting my life in order.

6. cackalackyank - Jan 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Craig, does the string of “—– has lost weight” stories mean that “BSOHL” season has been cancelled this year?

7. slystone111 - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM

No more Joba the Hutt?

• happytwinsfan - Jan 26, 2014 at 1:59 PM

i think i’ll go build me a jobba the hutt snowman while it’s still above 0.

8. jj19871 - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Craig Calcaterra is a queer loser!

• cackalackyank - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Way to stay classy.

• happytwinsfan - Jan 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM

i hope that someday using the q word, or like, is just as unacceptable as using the n word.

• maikoch - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM

If you click on his name, you’ll see that jj19871’s original login name was ‘yankees1111′. I think that pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

• happytwinsfan - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:37 PM

i think real yankee fans are better then that.

• maikoch - Jan 26, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Some are, but if I were to choose–say–the five fan bases that tend to be most obnoxious, then the Yankees fans would make that list.

On top of that, you have a login name that–at best–shows a lack of original thought. At worst–and most likely–it shows someone who primarily created the login to troll with, not to actually use on a regular basis.

• happytwinsfan - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:55 PM

maikoch:

sorry if i made you mad. didn’t mean it that way.i was thinking that when a guy throws out a word like “queer” he should get hit in the face by a big STFU.

as for my dumbass login name “happytwinsfan”, i made that at the same time that i made the login name “sadtwinsfan”. i thought it might be cute to have the two of them arguing back and forth. no more of that.

if you mean by “troll” attention seeking, aren’t we all?.

9. rje49 - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I’m sure they “don’t have fish in Nebraska” is a bit of exaggeration, although for 10 years I lived just north, in South Dakota, and they certainly do have fish. It’s just that this New Englander never heard of most of the species sold there.

• 1historian - Feb 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Baked Salmon:

24 hours prior to – make a marinate of melted butter, store bought seafood marinate, mustard, fried onions.garlic, grape jelly, whatever strikes your fancy, spread liberally on the salmon (leave the skin on) and leave in the fridge overnight. Next morning take it out of the fridge and leave it out at room temp for a few hours so the pan can adjust to room temp. Insert in pre-heated oven @350 for about 8 minutes, turn it over and cook for another 8-10 minutes – judgment call. If you’re feeling adventurous put a little bit of maple syrup on the non-skin side two minutes before taking it out of the stove, or just after taking it out.

How much of each ingredient – whatever strikes your fancy at the time.

10. chacochicken - Jan 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

But the mercury, my god, the mercury.

• historiophiliac - Jan 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM

If he discovered fish thanks to Lake Michigan…

/scans MLB pitcher stats for possible cheap replacements

• historiophiliac - Jan 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM

(also waits for some uptight dude to correct that to Lake Erie or Huron)

11. arbruins - Jan 26, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I thought you were going to say “Chamberlain loses 15 pounds, discovers penis”.

• Old Gator - Jan 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Imagine all those years he spent stuffing gum into his bellybutton trying to keep from peeing on himself.

12. musketmaniac - Jan 26, 2014 at 7:23 PM

No fish in Nebraska. hmm educational. No lakes no rivers no streams, not even a long johns outside of Omaha.

13. flyii - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Typical.

14. New_Core - Jan 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM

What is a BSOHL? Or should i say WIABSOHL?

15. wgracia57 - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I’m glad that Joba found a lake and he now enjoys eating fish . He’s is the story of a toad that’s turns into a bullfrog.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3424)