Jan 26, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
As with Prince Fielder, I’m inclined to wait for something more than mere weight loss to declare a Best Shape of His Life. It requires the weight loss along with some declaration — implied or explicit — that superior performance is soon to follow. Or a suggestion that the shape is unprecedented or something. Sure, if it’s dramatic weight loss — as we’re seeing with Pablo Sandoval — I’m inclined to slap a BSOHL on him. But otherwise a fat guy losing a little weight is not, in and of itself, BSOHL material.
Joba Chamberlain has lost weight (15 pounds) to get in better shape, and seems to have kind of personality fans are going to like.
By the way, to lose the weight, the right-handed reliever become a fish eater after having fish “maybe three times in my life” before his new nutrition program began.
“I’m from Nebraska,” he said. “We don’t have fish in Nebraska.”
Or maybe he just hasn’t looked very hard. And how he avoided good seafood while living in New York and taking multiple road trips to Boston, Baltimore and Tampa each year is beyond me. But let’s not scrutinize this any more than we need to.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)