Jan 26, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
As with Prince Fielder, I’m inclined to wait for something more than mere weight loss to declare a Best Shape of His Life. It requires the weight loss along with some declaration — implied or explicit — that superior performance is soon to follow. Or a suggestion that the shape is unprecedented or something. Sure, if it’s dramatic weight loss — as we’re seeing with Pablo Sandoval — I’m inclined to slap a BSOHL on him. But otherwise a fat guy losing a little weight is not, in and of itself, BSOHL material.
Joba Chamberlain has lost weight (15 pounds) to get in better shape, and seems to have kind of personality fans are going to like.
By the way, to lose the weight, the right-handed reliever become a fish eater after having fish “maybe three times in my life” before his new nutrition program began.
“I’m from Nebraska,” he said. “We don’t have fish in Nebraska.”
Or maybe he just hasn’t looked very hard. And how he avoided good seafood while living in New York and taking multiple road trips to Boston, Baltimore and Tampa each year is beyond me. But let’s not scrutinize this any more than we need to.
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 3
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)