Jan 27, 2014, 8:39 AM EDT
David Ortiz is under contract through this season. He would like to be under contract longer. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, quoting Ortiz from a local Boston TV broadcast:
“As long as they keep offering me a job and I keep doing what I’m supposed to do and the relationship keeps on building up, I’m going to be there. Hopefully, I won’t have to go and wear another uniform.”
Burton then asked what would happen if the team didn’t offer him another long-term deal.
“Time to move on,” he said.
It feels like we go through this a lot. I guess we do, relatively speaking. Most big stars don’t work on one and two-year deals as often as David Ortiz has. But when you’re a DH-type who, at a critical moment a couple of years ago, looked like he had just fallen off a cliff, you can understand why the Sox haven’t given him another three or four-year deal like the one they gave him before the 2007.
My guess: if he starts up 2014 like he left off in 2013 the Sox will extend him for a year or two. If not, they’ll wait until the season is over. Which, no matter how great Ortiz has been for the Sox, is probably smart given that he’s an aging DH.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 47
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 97
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 67
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)