Jan 27, 2014, 8:39 AM EDT
David Ortiz is under contract through this season. He would like to be under contract longer. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, quoting Ortiz from a local Boston TV broadcast:
“As long as they keep offering me a job and I keep doing what I’m supposed to do and the relationship keeps on building up, I’m going to be there. Hopefully, I won’t have to go and wear another uniform.”
Burton then asked what would happen if the team didn’t offer him another long-term deal.
“Time to move on,” he said.
It feels like we go through this a lot. I guess we do, relatively speaking. Most big stars don’t work on one and two-year deals as often as David Ortiz has. But when you’re a DH-type who, at a critical moment a couple of years ago, looked like he had just fallen off a cliff, you can understand why the Sox haven’t given him another three or four-year deal like the one they gave him before the 2007.
My guess: if he starts up 2014 like he left off in 2013 the Sox will extend him for a year or two. If not, they’ll wait until the season is over. Which, no matter how great Ortiz has been for the Sox, is probably smart given that he’s an aging DH.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 40
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)