Jan 27, 2014, 8:39 AM EST
David Ortiz is under contract through this season. He would like to be under contract longer. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, quoting Ortiz from a local Boston TV broadcast:
“As long as they keep offering me a job and I keep doing what I’m supposed to do and the relationship keeps on building up, I’m going to be there. Hopefully, I won’t have to go and wear another uniform.”
Burton then asked what would happen if the team didn’t offer him another long-term deal.
“Time to move on,” he said.
It feels like we go through this a lot. I guess we do, relatively speaking. Most big stars don’t work on one and two-year deals as often as David Ortiz has. But when you’re a DH-type who, at a critical moment a couple of years ago, looked like he had just fallen off a cliff, you can understand why the Sox haven’t given him another three or four-year deal like the one they gave him before the 2007.
My guess: if he starts up 2014 like he left off in 2013 the Sox will extend him for a year or two. If not, they’ll wait until the season is over. Which, no matter how great Ortiz has been for the Sox, is probably smart given that he’s an aging DH.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)