Jan 27, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
It’s been nearly three years since Bryan Stow was seriously injured in an attack outside of Dodger Stadium on Opening Day, but he remains a constant in the hearts and minds of the Giants organization.
According to the Associated Press, Giants third base coach Tim Flannery presented the Stow family with $96,000 over the weekend to help with his medical costs. Stow suffered traumatic injuries and brain damage as a result of the attack and is now being cared for by his parents.
Flannery and his band, the Lunatic Fringe, raised the money during four nights of sold-out concerts in Northern California. Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt donated $25,000 to match Flannery’s initial total while former Giants great Will Clark donated $10,000. All proceeds from Flannery’s latest album will also go to the Stow family.
“I don’t think we could even begin to explain how much the efforts of all the people involved mean to us,” Stow’s sister, Bonnie Stow, wrote in an email Monday. “They’re all busy people, with their own lives going on, yet they take the time to put on these shows to help Bryan. It’s like `thank you’ just isn’t enough. Even when he’s not playing these shows, Tim stays in touch with our family and sends his love to Bryan continuously. He’s amazing.”
Flannery, who has since received a thank you voicemail from Bryan, said he viewed this as “a great opportunity to let the family know that people still are thinking about them.”
Well done to all involved.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)