Jerry Remy announces that he will return to Red Sox broadcasts this year

Jan 27, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT

Jerry Remy AP

Red Sox color commentator Jerry Remy left the broadcast booth last August after his son was charged with murder, but he announced today that he will return for the 2014 season.

According to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, Remy spoke for about 30 minutes this afternoon in front of a small group of reporters and admitted that he was leaning toward not returning until recently. However, the support from his family and friends and a clean bill of health were motivators for him to rejoin play-by-play man Don Orsillo.

Here’s part of his statement from this afternoon:

“€œRight around the turn of the year, after a miserable holiday season, that baseball clock clicks in a little bit, and people reminded me — my inner circle of friends and my wife — about my career and where it came from and where it is. I got drafted as a baseball player. I got drafted last and made it to the big leagues. I wanted to quit. My father talked me out of it. I made it to the big leagues. When I started this job — awful. I was terrible. I couldn’€™t wait for the first season to be over because I wanted out. I didn’€™t quit. I continued on for 26 years. When I got cancer, I wanted to quit. I didn’€™t. It threw me into a depression. I came back. I continued on. Some of these things started to resonate a little bit with me. I’€™ve never been a quitter, and I don’€™t intend to be one now. I’€™ve been in professional baseball in some capacity for 40 years. It’€™s what I do. It’€™s what I know. It’€™s where my comfort level is. It’€™s where I feel I belong and where I feel that I’€™m going to continue to do so for as long as possible.”

Remy’s son, Jared, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of his girlfriend, Jennifer Martel. The trial is set for October 7.

In addition to announcing his return today, Remy passed along his deepest sympathies to the Martel family. He and his wife have filed have filed for custody of Jared and Jennifer’€™s daughter along with two other parties, including the Martels.

1. slaugin - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

What a screwed up situation

• mornelithe - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Agreed, but he’s handling it well. I think DJ kind of focused too much on how Remy himself has felt during this time (ergo, how it’s personally effected him), and not enough on how much of the interview was devoted to his sympathies for Jen (the decedent’s) family, and how much his grief cannot be compared to that of the Martel family.

Though, it’s not necessarily a slam against you DJ, I realize it’s a baseball oriented article. But, I came away with more respect for Remy, with how much he was trying to emphasize that his situation is simply not comparable to that of Jen’s family, and that he wants to ensure that he and the media are ‘super sensitive’ to the Martels.

2. Old Gator - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

My heart goes out to the guy. We’ve been blessed with four terrific kids but we also know other parents, really good people too, who have to live with the (unjustified) shame they feel over the behavior of their wayward or even criminal offspring. And then to have to worry about how their grandchild will regard them as he grows up – just awful. Kudos to him for refusing to let his life derail, and for having the guts and determination to get back in the saddle.

3. gibbskins9 - Jan 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM

As a Yankee fan hearing Jerry is returning is great news for all he is a class act and brings a lot to each telecast.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I always enjoyed him and Orsillo during Yankee/Sox games far more than the YES announcers. Something enjoyable about listening to two guys who seemed to like their jobs, whereas the YES guys almost always seemed like Steinbrenner was standing behind them with a gun pointed at their backs.

4. misterschmo - Jan 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Wow, I can’t even imagine how difficult this must be for him. I’m most sorry for the young lady’s family, but this is awful for the Remy’s as well. I am glad that I’ll get to hear the Remy/Orsillo shenanigans this summer, I was afraid that I’d heard the last of them. Glad you’re back, Jerry.

5. Glenn - Jan 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Not only are Remy and Orsillo one of the most entertaining teams in baseball announcing, they are also among the best. Remy has had a rough couple of years – here’s hoping that baseball helps him heal.

6. pastabelly - Jan 27, 2014 at 8:35 PM

If the murder case gets rolling this Spring, this really is a screwed up situation. NESN should keep Dennis Eckersly on speed dial. Eckersly also often brings a passion to the game that, at times, seems to have passed Remy by. Remy is still good, but this situation is combustible.

7. slaugin - Jan 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Eck drives me crazy, but maybe it’s just me

• anotheryx - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM

You just need more cheese with hair on it.

8. mikeswiane - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Jery Remy deciding to come back to the booth is probably a good idea. Doing what he loves commentating the RedSox will take his mind off things.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2894)