Jan 27, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Richard Durrett of the ESPN Dallas asked the Rangers about Yu Darvish‘s contract, Jon Daniels said this:
“At some point, we’ll sit down and talk with him just like we would on everybody,” Daniels said this weekend at the team’s Fan Fest at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. “He still has four years on his deal. I don’t see a rush necessarily, but we’ll address it at the right time.
Durrett notes that Darvish’s contract is interesting at the moment in light of what Masahiro Tanaka got from the Yankees. But I’m struggling to think why that is at all relevant to the Rangers. They got a great deal on Darvish — at least as far as his salary goes — because of the posting system in place when they signed him. Tanaka got a better salary because of a new system. They have no bearing on each other.
And, in no other circumstance could I imagine an extension for a guy with four years on his deal would even be a question worth asking. Or am I missing something here?
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 17
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)