Jan 27, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Richard Durrett of the ESPN Dallas asked the Rangers about Yu Darvish‘s contract, Jon Daniels said this:
“At some point, we’ll sit down and talk with him just like we would on everybody,” Daniels said this weekend at the team’s Fan Fest at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. “He still has four years on his deal. I don’t see a rush necessarily, but we’ll address it at the right time.
Durrett notes that Darvish’s contract is interesting at the moment in light of what Masahiro Tanaka got from the Yankees. But I’m struggling to think why that is at all relevant to the Rangers. They got a great deal on Darvish — at least as far as his salary goes — because of the posting system in place when they signed him. Tanaka got a better salary because of a new system. They have no bearing on each other.
And, in no other circumstance could I imagine an extension for a guy with four years on his deal would even be a question worth asking. Or am I missing something here?
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)