Jan 27, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Richard Durrett of the ESPN Dallas asked the Rangers about Yu Darvish‘s contract, Jon Daniels said this:
“At some point, we’ll sit down and talk with him just like we would on everybody,” Daniels said this weekend at the team’s Fan Fest at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. “He still has four years on his deal. I don’t see a rush necessarily, but we’ll address it at the right time.
Durrett notes that Darvish’s contract is interesting at the moment in light of what Masahiro Tanaka got from the Yankees. But I’m struggling to think why that is at all relevant to the Rangers. They got a great deal on Darvish — at least as far as his salary goes — because of the posting system in place when they signed him. Tanaka got a better salary because of a new system. They have no bearing on each other.
And, in no other circumstance could I imagine an extension for a guy with four years on his deal would even be a question worth asking. Or am I missing something here?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)