Jan 27, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Richard Durrett of the ESPN Dallas asked the Rangers about Yu Darvish‘s contract, Jon Daniels said this:
“At some point, we’ll sit down and talk with him just like we would on everybody,” Daniels said this weekend at the team’s Fan Fest at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. “He still has four years on his deal. I don’t see a rush necessarily, but we’ll address it at the right time.
Durrett notes that Darvish’s contract is interesting at the moment in light of what Masahiro Tanaka got from the Yankees. But I’m struggling to think why that is at all relevant to the Rangers. They got a great deal on Darvish — at least as far as his salary goes — because of the posting system in place when they signed him. Tanaka got a better salary because of a new system. They have no bearing on each other.
And, in no other circumstance could I imagine an extension for a guy with four years on his deal would even be a question worth asking. Or am I missing something here?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)