Jan 27, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Richard Durrett of the ESPN Dallas asked the Rangers about Yu Darvish‘s contract, Jon Daniels said this:
“At some point, we’ll sit down and talk with him just like we would on everybody,” Daniels said this weekend at the team’s Fan Fest at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. “He still has four years on his deal. I don’t see a rush necessarily, but we’ll address it at the right time.
Durrett notes that Darvish’s contract is interesting at the moment in light of what Masahiro Tanaka got from the Yankees. But I’m struggling to think why that is at all relevant to the Rangers. They got a great deal on Darvish — at least as far as his salary goes — because of the posting system in place when they signed him. Tanaka got a better salary because of a new system. They have no bearing on each other.
And, in no other circumstance could I imagine an extension for a guy with four years on his deal would even be a question worth asking. Or am I missing something here?
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)