Angels sign free agents Brennan Boesch and Carlos Pena to minor league contracts

Jan 28, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT

angels logo

Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have signed outfielder Brennan Boesch and first baseman Carlos Pena to minor league contracts. Those deals carry invitations to major league spring training, per Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register.

Boesch signed a one-year, $1.5 million contract with the Yankees last winter but he was released in July after posting a rough .302 on-base percentage in 53 plate appearances. Pena jumped between the Astros and Royals, hitting .207/.321/.346 in 328 plate appearances.

Pena has a good shot at an Opening Day roster spot because he can spell Albert Pujols at first base on days that Pujols needs to DH. Boesch is more of a longshot given the talent in the Anaheim outfield.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Boesch might have something to offer, Pena was done 5 years ago

2. km9000 - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM

If Pena’s bat stays the same, I don’t know if 1B backup is all that likely. Assuming Pujols actually plays there on a regular basis (I know), I’m sure Kole Calhoun would get some starts when Pujols DHs.

3. jarathen - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:56 AM

The Angels also have Ibanez for depth at DH. I don’t know that I see the fit.

Doesn’t hurt to take a flier, especially when a team is as starved for upper-level depth as LAA is, but I doubt this will amount to much.

4. jarathen - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Also, where did HBT get this Angels logo?

The white halo is not part of their logo, and I even checked Creamer’s site to see if there was an alt somewhere, but I don’t see it. Halo should be gray.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3520)