Jan 28, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
My kids are home from school today. Again. Darn winter weather. They have not had a full five-day school week since before Christmas. And, frankly, it’s getting on my nerves. I told them this morning that I have to work and that they need to not be crazy.
My ten year-old daughter Anna — known to some of you around here as Mookie — asked me if it would help me out if she wrote something today. I figured, heck, what’s the worst thing that could happen? So I said yes. She wrote up the following post. The only thing I did on it was the formatting. I was going to insert some A-Rod rhetoric, but she told me to give it a rest. Kids.
Please, warm weather, come back soon. — Craig
My dad is Craig Calcaterra. This is about his job.
He goes “typity-type-type-type” about basity-base-base-ball all day. It’s true. Not kidding. Lots of people think that’s all he does. To prove it, here is a quote from my brother Carlo:
I think his brain’s gonna melt out if he keeps typity-type-type-typing on the computer all day. And he likes the letter “B” a lot. Baseball. Beer. Bourbon. Batman. And his favorite color is blue.
I told him this had to be about baseball so I stopped him.
Anyway, my dad asked me if I had any thoughts about baseball to share. So here are a few:
- I went to a Columbus Clippers-Charlotte Knights baseball game once and shook my butt when the music was playing and it got up on the big screen on the scoreboard.
- I once saw Carlos Santana hit a grand slam at a Clippers game. I don’t really remember this because I was young but my dad reminded me of it last week.
- My first major league game was in 2012. It was in San Diego. The Padres played the Texas Rangers. The Rangers won. My uncle Curt went with us too. Major league stadiums are bigger than minor league stadiums.
- Even though I think my dad and his job are lame, I think baseball is cool.
Wasn’t this better than what my dad usually writes?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 24
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)