Guest Post: Anna Calcaterra on baseball

Jan 28, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT

Anna at Petco Park

My kids are home from school today. Again. Darn winter weather. They have not had a full five-day school week since before Christmas. And, frankly, it’s getting on my nerves. I told them this morning that I have to work and that they need to not be crazy.

My ten year-old daughter Anna — known to some of you around here as Mookie — asked me if it would help me out if she wrote something today. I figured, heck, what’s the worst thing that could happen? So I said yes. She wrote up the following post. The only thing I did on it was the formatting. I was going to insert some A-Rod rhetoric, but she told me to give it a rest. Kids.

Please, warm weather, come back soon. — Craig

—————————————————-

My dad is Craig Calcaterra. This is about his job.

He goes “typity-type-type-type” about basity-base-base-ball all day. It’s true. Not kidding. Lots of people think that’s all he does. To prove it, here is a quote from my brother Carlo:

I think his brain’s gonna melt out if he keeps typity-type-type-typing on the computer all day. And he likes the letter “B” a lot. Baseball. Beer. Bourbon. Batman. And his favorite color is blue.

I told him this had to be about baseball so I stopped him.

Anyway, my dad asked me if I had any thoughts about baseball to share. So here are a few:

• I went to a Columbus Clippers-Charlotte Knights baseball game once and shook my butt when the music was playing and it got up on the big screen on the scoreboard.
  • I once saw Carlos Santana hit a grand slam at a Clippers game. I don’t really remember this because I was young but my dad reminded me of it last week.
  • My first major league game was in 2012. It was in San Diego. The Padres played the Texas Rangers. The Rangers won. My uncle Curt went with us too. Major league stadiums are bigger than minor league stadiums.
  • Even though I think my dad and his job are lame, I think baseball is cool.

Wasn’t this better than what my dad usually writes?

Bye,

Mookie

1. rbj1 - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM

The university here in Toledo suspended classes for the day as well. Simply because it was minus eight this morning. WTH? We never got a day off on account of cold even when it was subzero. Kids today are too soft. And they’re also on my lawn again.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I lived in Virginia, near Richmond, when I was in middle school.

One winter when there was a forecast of like 2 inches of snow they were cancelling school 2 and 3 days in advance.

We ended up having 12 snow days that year and the school board decided in March that unless we had 13 we didn’t have to make any of them up.

It was great.

• savvybynature - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I live in Virginia now, near Roanoke. Believe it or not, it’s gotten worse (or better, if your a kid).

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM

I see they still don’t teach proper contractions they’re.

2. jaturso - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM

First, love the name Anna. That’s my 2-1/2 year-old daughter’s name. Well chosen. Second, did you name your son Carlo? The same name as the poor SOB who sold out Santino Corleone to Barzini? “You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.”

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM

It was also the same name as his maternal grandfather, so that’s why we went that way.

• realitypolice - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Godfather weekend on AMC obviously is still fresh in your mind, jaturso. Usually takes me about a week to stop thinking of everything in GF terms afterward as well.

• jaturso - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I’m always ready with a Godfather reference. I believe everything in life can be referenced and put into context by either The Godfather (Parts I and II only – III never happened in my world), Seinfeld or The Simpsons.
        On a related note, I’ve actually met the actor (Gianni Russo) who played Carlo. Super nice guy. He runs a winery now, and his Il Padrino Chianti is really good. If anyone on HBT is a wine fan and you can find any of his wines (The winery is named after him), it’s worth a try.

3. Jason Lukehart - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Finally, SOMEONE at Hardball Talk mentions Carlos Santana being awesome.

Hire Mookie!

4. Jonny 5 - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Children are pretty cool sometimes.

Mookie rulez!!!!! Give her a job when school is out, your audience demands it.

5. cackalackyank - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Craig, you need to do this more often. I would love to see her forecast of the upcoming season standings.

6. ch0psuey - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Petco park, not a bad stadium to take in your first mlb game. I may be a bit biased however :)

7. gostlcards5 - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:54 PM

This. Post. Is. Awesome.

That is all.

• gostlcards5 - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:54 PM

(I am sorry, however, that she already finds you “lame”, Craig)

8. chadjones27 - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM

She should write all the “And That Happened…” posts

9. kevinbnyc - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:21 PM

And to think all these years I thought your daughter’s name was actually Mookie.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I thank the powers that be that her name is not “Mookie”. I thought it was, too. This comes as a relief.

Way to go, kid.

10. trevorbwg - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM

11. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM

The original title was going to be “My Dad goes typity-type-type-type for some reason”.

Good stuff – and I have to say I am relieved that 45 responses in, no one replied with anything regrettable (sadly,I was expecting it)

12. Reflex - Jan 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Can we make this weekly please? Carlo as well…

13. mundial8 - Jan 28, 2014 at 3:04 PM

There’s going to be many more snow days in Ohio Calcaterra…

14. Tim's Neighbor - Jan 28, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Yankees homer

15. contraryguy - Jan 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Great stuff, well done Anna!

I heard Gov. Kasich was looking at adding a few extra weather days to the school year, so there could be more of these coming up, Craig. And I am so going to try to work ‘basity-base-base ball’ into comments this year.

16. musketmaniac - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I justed waisted a minute and a half on this crap. kind like watching bread toast, than realizing no butter

17. lanflfan - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Awesome post, can’t wait for the next installment.

18. yordo - Jan 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM

There goes the sanctity of this blog.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate