Jan 28, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
Rodney wasn’t nearly as dominant in 2013 as he was in 2012, but he still saved 37 games for the Rays and averaged a career-high 96.5 mph on his fastball while striking out 82 batters in 66 2/3 innings.
Rodney is likely seeking a multi-year contract. If the Mariners sign him, they’ll presumably push projected closer Danny Farquhar into a setup role and make Rodney their primary ninth-inning man. Spring training gets underway in a little over two weeks.
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 3
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 3
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 7
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Bryce Harper continues to lead N.L All-Star voting; Buster Posey passes Yadier Molina 19
- Rob Manfred expects there to be spring training games in Cuba next year 13
- Stephen Strasburg has a left trapezius strain 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 106
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (176)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)