Jan 28, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
Rodney wasn’t nearly as dominant in 2013 as he was in 2012, but he still saved 37 games for the Rays and averaged a career-high 96.5 mph on his fastball while striking out 82 batters in 66 2/3 innings.
Rodney is likely seeking a multi-year contract. If the Mariners sign him, they’ll presumably push projected closer Danny Farquhar into a setup role and make Rodney their primary ninth-inning man. Spring training gets underway in a little over two weeks.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (107)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)