Jan 28, 2014, 10:13 PM EST
MLB.com beat writer Brian McTaggart has the story:
HOUSTON — Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan met with Astros owner Jim Crane and president of business operations Reid Ryan on Tuesday morning at Minute Maid Park, a source confirmed for MLB.com.
Reid, son of the Texas legend, said last week Crane was scheduled to meet with his father sometime this week, perhaps to discuss a return to the organization in an official capacity.
Ryan served as an adviser to former Astros owner Drayton McLane from 2004-2008. He then took a high-level position with the Rangers, but that ended in October after some clashing with young GM Jon Daniels.
Ryan, an old-school baseball man, is probably interviewing for a position on the business side of things in Houston. That would avoid any issues with Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow — whose data-based approach is similar to Daniels’ — and would allow the 66-year-old Ryan to work closely with his son.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)