Jan 28, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
MLB.com beat writer Brian McTaggart has the story:
HOUSTON — Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan met with Astros owner Jim Crane and president of business operations Reid Ryan on Tuesday morning at Minute Maid Park, a source confirmed for MLB.com.
Reid, son of the Texas legend, said last week Crane was scheduled to meet with his father sometime this week, perhaps to discuss a return to the organization in an official capacity.
Ryan served as an adviser to former Astros owner Drayton McLane from 2004-2008. He then took a high-level position with the Rangers, but that ended in October after some clashing with young GM Jon Daniels.
Ryan, an old-school baseball man, is probably interviewing for a position on the business side of things in Houston. That would avoid any issues with Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow — whose data-based approach is similar to Daniels’ — and would allow the 66-year-old Ryan to work closely with his son.
- The beauty of belief 10
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)