Jan 28, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
This says more about the legal standard for reckless driving in Florida than it says about the safety of Yasiel Puig‘s driving, but be it known that the reckless driving charges against him have been dropped. From WVZN-TV in Florida:
The State Attorney’s Office will not pursue areckless driving charge against Dodger’s outfielder Yasiel Puig, after the MLB star was clocked doing 110 mph across Alligator Alley in late December.
Prosecutors say the speed, while excessive, by itself is not enough to support a charge of reckless driving.
Apparently there need to be aggravating factors beyond just speed to support a reckless driving charge in Florida, and there was no evidence that he was weaving or taking risks beyond going 110 m.p.h. Kind of surprising — a lot of states deem certain speeds to be reckless no matter how straight and steady you’re keeping it on the road — but Florida isn’t like everyplace else.
Here’s hoping, however, that Puig nonethless sticks to his plan to have someone else do his driving for him. Or, short of that, slows the hell down.
(h/t Big League Stew)
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)