Jan 28, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
This says more about the legal standard for reckless driving in Florida than it says about the safety of Yasiel Puig‘s driving, but be it known that the reckless driving charges against him have been dropped. From WVZN-TV in Florida:
The State Attorney’s Office will not pursue areckless driving charge against Dodger’s outfielder Yasiel Puig, after the MLB star was clocked doing 110 mph across Alligator Alley in late December.
Prosecutors say the speed, while excessive, by itself is not enough to support a charge of reckless driving.
Apparently there need to be aggravating factors beyond just speed to support a reckless driving charge in Florida, and there was no evidence that he was weaving or taking risks beyond going 110 m.p.h. Kind of surprising — a lot of states deem certain speeds to be reckless no matter how straight and steady you’re keeping it on the road — but Florida isn’t like everyplace else.
Here’s hoping, however, that Puig nonethless sticks to his plan to have someone else do his driving for him. Or, short of that, slows the hell down.
(h/t Big League Stew)
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)