You really, really want to watch Albert Pujols on Sesame Street

Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 AM EST

John Kruk once famously told a woman he was not an athlete, he was a ballplayer. Albert Pujols, in contrast, embraces the label of athlete.

We know this because He’s making a guest appearance on Sesame Street on Thursday, explaining to Grover what the word “athlete” means. And it’s fantastic:

Observations:

• I’m going to start calling Grover “Mike Trout” because, like Trout, he flat carries Pujols here. But that’s not a shock. Grover is an 80-Muppet. He is so much better than just about every other Muppet there is. In a just world he’s making Elmo money. He’s that good;
  • Watch Pujols look away at the cue card as he identifies himself by name. Seriously.
  • “Yes. I train to play baseball. And I am good at baseball.”  That’s quote of the year material there.
  1. darthicarus - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:26 AM

So if you aren’t really good at a sport you can’t be considered an athlete? That definition leaves much to be desired…sort of like Mr Pujols’ acting ability. Well done to Grover though.

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I think Kruk and Pujols need to get in a room and hash out whether or not a professional baseball player is an athlete.

I’m sad to admit that I’d totally watch that.

• paperlions - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Some professional baseball players are athletes, some are not. I think both Kruk and Pujols were correct in their respective contentions.

• gibbyfan - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Obviously some baseball players are much more athetic than others, for example Bo Jackson comes to mind, but in my book anyone good enough to play baseball at the MLB level is an athlete

3. jarathen - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I think they mean like a “career” athlete.

Yes, Pujols is as wooden as his bat.

Which is just a staggering mile of difference away from Grover’s manic antics.

4. Old Gator - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Grover is the best Muppet? Whaaaaaattttt??? Grover isn’t fit to wipe Cookie Monster’s cloaca.

• Alex K - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I’m glad someone else can see the truth here.

• historiophiliac - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Boooo!!!

/throws popcorn from the balcony

• jm91rs - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I’m not positive, but I don’t think any of these guys are considered Muppets. Kermit is probably the only Muppet on Sesame street. The rest aren’t Muppets, just puppets.

P.S. Grover carriers that show, cookie monster is always eating the set, Elmo’s refusal to speak in 1st person would anger even Rickey Henderson, and the dude who plays big bird is too old to really give it his all anymore.

• madhatternalice - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch, Bert and Ernie, Grover and Cookie Monster are all Muppets.

• jm91rs - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I stand corrected. Copied that straight out of wikipedia I see.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Kermit The Frog begs to differ.

• historiophiliac - Jan 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM

It ain’t easy bein’ green.

5. Marty McKee - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I still think back fondly on George Foster’s stilted acting as himself in one of those PSAs that used to air during NBC’s Game of the Week.

6. sdelmonte - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

First time I have seen Grover since Frank Oz retired. Not a bad job by his replacement, but Eric Jacobson is clearly David Robertson next to Oz’s Mariano.

• jm91rs - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Oz still does it from time to time so it’s possible that was him.

7. Alex K - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Cookie Monster is the best Muppet, hands down. I don’t say that to push Grover down, either. Grover is no questions asked an 80 – Muppet, but Cookie is untouchable.

• jm91rs - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Are you guys forgetting that Grover is a super hero as well? He really is the 5 tool player on that set. Cookie monster does one thing well, eats cookies and anything that might be shaped like cookies.

• Old Gator - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:41 PM

You never heard “Cookie Cookie Cookie Starts with C”???? He sounds like Lou Reed with laryngitis. That’s inimitable.

• Alex K - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Super Grover is great. Grover is the second best and no one else is even in his time zone as far as Sesame Street is concerned. But Cookie is a force of nature. His ability to eat the letter of the day alone makes him a clear #1.

• km9000 - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Grover’s table-waiting is well below average, but the rest of his skill set still makes him elite.

• tcostant - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I’m also a fan of cookie, but Oscar is the best.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I’d like to put a word in for Mr K. T. Frog, please. He’s the Sam Fuld of that show. He does it all AND maintains a cross species relationship with a pig. Hats off to the frog.

8. thomas844 - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM

His acting makes Matt Kemp seem like Matt Damon.

9. losangelesfan - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Albert’s acting is pretty good. Oh, not in this clip. He’s been acting like a broken down DH the last two years.

$25 million.

‘face-palm’

• zzalapski - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM

“Acting”?

10. umrguy42 - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I love when Grover looks at him and goes “YOU?!” and busts up laughing. It gave this Cards fan some schadenfreude at the “unfortunate implications” / snark-bait of it…

• km9000 - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

To Albert’s credit, it takes some humility to accept a role where you declare yourself an athlete, and promptly get laughed at by a Muppet.

11. tcostant - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I think this is Pujols’ best work in three years…

12. moogro - Jan 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I love how Grover goes in and out of copying his accent. He loves the basketball.

13. km9000 - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Do you think Count Von Count is into sabermetrics, or is he too reliant on traditional counting stats?

14. onbucky96 - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I’d rather watch Katy Perry on Sesame Street.

• km9000 - Jan 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM

“I’m a musician! I’m good at music!”

“YOU?! HAHAHAHAHA”

15. stevequinn - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:27 AM

Actually, I think The Count would have been a more appropriate on-screen partner for Albert. Pujols needs somebody to help with his accounting needs after that gargantuan contract.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (3859)