Mariners sign Scott Baker

Jan 29, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT

Scott Baker AP

Scott Baker, who missed all of 2012 and most of 2013 following Tommy John elbow surgery, has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Mariners.

Baker signed a one-year, $5.5 million deal with the Cubs last offseason, but experienced multiple setbacks in his recovery and ended up making just three starts in September.

Before blowing out his elbow Baker was a solid, generally underrated mid-rotation starter who missed a fair number of bats and threw strikes but often struggled to keep the ball in the ballpark. He had a 3.98 ERA in 134 starts for the Twins from 2007-2011.

1. yournuts - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Another major signing by the M’s.

2. Squawk and Awe - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Final piece of the puzzle. World Series bound.

3. Reflex - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:32 PM

M’s need one more upper tier pitcher and a slugging outfielder still. Sadly it does not look like it would happen. Cruz is not the answer. Too bad the Marlins won’t part with Stanton..

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Who’s to say Walker doesn’t turn into that upper-tier pitcher right away? Our Martin Perez wasn’t as hyped as Walker is and he put up a 1.6 WAR rookie season. Walker is a lot more talented than Perez so you can assume he’ll do a lot better than that which means he’ll put up a great season.

• Reflex - Jan 29, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I think a mistake the M’s have made over the past couple seasons is relying on too many top prospects to become stars at the same time. Yes, Walker has a ton of promise, as do Hultzen and Paxton, but of those three only one is likely to be a star, and its a gamble as to which one.

I’d prefer they kept Walker. But I’d also like another solid starter.

4. joenash72 - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Would think they trade Giancarlo for a package of cost-controlled young guys. Taijuan Walker centerpiece, along with some combination of Nick Franklin, Brad Miller, Dustin Ackley, etc.

• Reflex - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Interestingly enough, Stanton is one of the few guys it might be worth giving up Walker for. Prefer to see Paxton go, but he’s not a bad consolation prize as the guy the M’s keep.

I don’t see it happening though. Marlins seem determined to keep him.

• joenash72 - Jan 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I’d love to keep Taijuan Walker, but we need a bat to pair with Cano. Otherwise the Cano contract is a waste.

Would hope to hold on to Brad Miller in such a deal, but if it required including him to convince the Marlins, think ya gotta do it.

• tuberippin - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:08 AM

I don’t know if Paxton, Hultzen (recovering from shoulder surgery), Franklin and a couple low-level prospects would be enough to lure Miami into trading Stanton. It’s bound to happen though (Stanton being traded, that is).

5. sknut - Jan 29, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Hope he is healthy, always liked him when he was on the Twins. Good be a nice under the radar signing. (If he doesn’t blow his elbow signing the contract…I couldn’t resist)

6. mmason0071 - Jan 29, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Well, maybe the Mariners grand plan is to have lost of guys who are well rested. Core Hart and Baker 9never heard of him before) did not play last year and Logan Morrison and Franklin Gurierrez played very little. Another couple of guys who didn’t play last year and they will zoom to the playoffs with all that stored up energy.

7. mweekes22 - Jan 29, 2014 at 6:50 PM

This season will be another disappointment unless jack z does something significant via trade before spring training. I never really understand what Mariners management is thinking when they put 240 mil into one guy and then they don’t get anything else to upgrade their team at any other position. I love having Cano but he’s in a lineup with a bunch of injury riddled guys and the younger guys are all underperforming. The Rangers once again have a powerful lineup and the A’s are always good…I don’t see the Mariners finishing better than third in the al west this year and I tell myself I won’t get pissed when they blow it again but I always do.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto