Jan 29, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Baker signed a one-year, $5.5 million deal with the Cubs last offseason, but experienced multiple setbacks in his recovery and ended up making just three starts in September.
Before blowing out his elbow Baker was a solid, generally underrated mid-rotation starter who missed a fair number of bats and threw strikes but often struggled to keep the ball in the ballpark. He had a 3.98 ERA in 134 starts for the Twins from 2007-2011.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 51
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (265)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)