Phillies minor leaguer suspended for drug of abuse

Jan 29, 2014, 1:13 PM EST

account suspended

Christopher O’Hare, a left-hander who was the Phillies’ 23rd-round pick last year, has been suspended 50 games after a second positive test for a drug of abuse.

O’Hare made his pro debut last season and spent time at three different levels, but threw a grand total of just five innings in five appearances.

He’ll sit out the first 50 games of the season and once he serves the suspension O’Hare figures to pitch at Single-A as a 23-year-old.

1. El Bravo - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Someone should suspend the Phillies from the MLB for abusing good baseball.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

might as well add pretending to be a professional baseball team too.

• historiophiliac - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:52 PM

And crimes against Cliff Lee’s win-loss record.

• greymares - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:07 PM

just playing up to the division competition

2. peymax1693 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Another suspension; just more evidence that A-Rod ruined baseball.

3. Francisco (FC) - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Why that meanie Craig Calcaterra is at it again, directing his minions to post more negative content about the Phillies!

• historiophiliac - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Phan-baiting

4. nymets4ever - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Well as a diehard Mets fan, I have no love for the Phillies whatsoever. But some of the commentary here is just absurd.

It’s valid to say Ruben Amaro Jr. is a crappy GM, the farm system is barren, they’re behind on stastical trends, etc., but at the same time, did everyone suddenly forget that this team still just came off a run of 5 straight division titles including 2 National League pennants and 1 World Series ring?? No team maintains that type of dominance all the time, the ebb and flow of aging, contracts, player development, etc. affect all teams at some point. But banners do fly forever. I’d gladly take on their organizational problems for a chance to fly a big World Series flag at Citi Field…

• El Bravo - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Is there something wrong with poking fun at one’s rival team and phanbase? I think not. Perhaps your team has been terrible for so long that you aren’t used to it since you are always at the receiving end of said poking. Did I mention the Mets are not a good baseball team?

• greymares - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM

nothing wrong at all but both you and your lead man here on Hardball talk both seem to be better at dishing it out than being able to take it.

• El Bravo - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM

The Phillies suck and you all know it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:49 PM

So you admit that he’s awful, that he took over a great team and made them worse, made the future worse both with crippling contracts and a barren farm system, and is behind the times on analysis, and you think he should be praised for someone (Gillick’s) else’s work?

• nymets4ever - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM

My post wasn’t even about Amaro, like I said he’s a crap GM. And if anything I hope he keeps making bad decisions, because I all the better for the Mets. I can’t stand the Phillies, but facts are facts, they did just come off a great stretch of baseball. My post was about the Phillies having had a great run and a World Series Championship in the recent past, despite their bleak future ahead/

5. happytwinsfan - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM

doesn’t “a drug of abuse” generally mean pot. do 23 year olds anywhere except professional sports get raked over the coals for smoking a joint?

• El Bravo - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM

no way it means pot. pot is the most difficult of drugs to abuse since it is not physically addictive. it probably was something harder than that. my quesiton is, if it was the second positive test, why not 100 games? ARod is gonna be extra pissed…

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Different drugs, different protocol. Had this been roids it wold not have been 50 games. Had it been adderall, it would have been 25

• grumpyoleman - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Yeah in the real world they would get fired from their jobs most of the time.

• happytwinsfan - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:04 PM

i don’t think they would unless they were smoking it on the job or coming to work stoned.

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:23 PM

You should try it – light up one day. You’d be so happy and distracted you wouldn’t care when you crapped your Depends.

6. yourcubreporter - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I thought articles about drug suspensions were Calcaterra’s domain… Where is he? Is he sick?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM

He had one helluva conundrum. How could he write an article that simultaneously mocks a Phillie while also making him a victim?

7. chaseutley - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:13 PM

He pitched at 3 different levels for a grand total of 5 innings? I’m not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing, but it’s a pretty impressive little feat.

8. nbjays - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I think Aaron (and Craig) should get a 50-post suspension from HBT for posting drug suspension stories without the requisite accompanying picture of Rachel Leigh Cook.

• kopy - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Aaron needs to turn in his Minnesota card for this one.

9. Jonny 5 - Jan 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Heyyyyy watch it guys…. I’ll find all of you. I’ll find you and I’ll puke on you as I boo and throw batteries and snowballs at you. I will. Don’t make me. It’s not easy to pull off, so please don’t make me do it.

10. notsofast10 - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM

What a powerful and effective drug testing policy!!!!! Thank you Mr Selig.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4573)