Jan 29, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Wladimir Balentien — recently arrested for domestic violence and false imprisonment — gave a press conference yesterday in which he apologized to the Yakult Swallows and their fans:
“I’m here in front of you guys today because, first of all, I just want to apologize to my fans, I want to apologize to the Yakult Swallows fans, I want to apologize to the organization, the Yakult Swallows, and I want to apologize to my teammates for all the stuff that’s going on. I’m glad I’m here today on time for starting spring training. I’m going to do my best this year—try to be [the best] player I can and help my team to win a lot of ballgames this year. Those are my goals”
Japan’s single-season home run champ reiterated that he was happy to have made camp on time and now is focused on getting ready for the season.
And thank goodness for that. How awful it would be if a guy accused of breaking into his estranged wife’s house through a window and locking her in a bedroom didn’t make camp on time.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)