Wladimir Balentien apologizes to his team for his arrest

Jan 29, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT

balentien booking photo ap AP

Wladimir Balentien — recently arrested for domestic violence and false imprisonment — gave a press conference yesterday in which he apologized to the Yakult Swallows and their fans:

“I’m here in front of you guys today because, first of all, I just want to apologize to my fans, I want to apologize to the Yakult Swallows fans, I want to apologize to the organization, the Yakult Swallows, and I want to apologize to my teammates for all the stuff that’s going on. I’m glad I’m here today on time for starting spring training. I’m going to do my best this year—try to be [the best] player I can and help my team to win a lot of ballgames this year. Those are my goals”

Japan’s single-season home run champ reiterated that he was happy to have made camp on time and now is focused on getting ready for the season.

And thank goodness for that. How awful it would be if a guy accused of breaking into his estranged wife’s house through a window and locking her in a bedroom didn’t make camp on time.

1. matt20hew - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Reblogged this on Today's News.

• mick2014 - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:15 AM

I hate having to pronounce these dumb names the parents give the ball players. His middle name is Ramon so they should make him go by Ramon Valentine.

2. Old Gator - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Do you get the sense that modern sports heroes have a really short shelf life?

3. sdelmonte - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM

As it happens, I own the world’s tiniest violin. Guess what I am doing?

4. tfbuckfutter - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM

To be fair, we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt because he’s good at sports and she probably is just looking for a payday. Probably locked herself in that bedroom.

-PFT Commenter

• stex52 - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Can’t we put in some kind of worm that detects when people are coming over from PFT? We could program it so it just freezes their computer up. I guess,if we want,we can put in that thing where they send us $300 through Paypal so the FBI won’t bust them for copyright infringement. They are dumb enough that it might work on them.

But it’s good enough if it just keeps them out.

• louhudson23 - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:51 AM

“Probably locked herself in that bedroom”…what does that even mean? She actually locked herself in the house,apparently…which he proceeded to break into. Shame on her….

5. sawxalicious - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:06 PM

So….no indication he’s apologized to his wife…unless maybe she falls under the category of fan or team mate….

6. granadafan - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Awwww, his lawyer wrote a very nice apology.

Three legends off to Cooperstown