Jan 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker is one of the absolute best in the business. You don’t keep that job when you’re pushing 80 unless you are. But it’s also a hard job as far as travel and grind goes, and that grind doesn’t wear so well on an 80 year-old either. Uecker knows this and told Newsradio WTMJ 620 that he will be cutting back on road games for first time during 2014 season.
He’ll still do all home games and, if he follows the Vin Scully pattern, will likely do in-division road games to avoid the long flights. In fact he tells WTMJ that he talked to Scully and Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman about how to structure a schedule that keeps him fresh. He also added, however, that it’s a fluid process and if the Brewers are in contention or something down the stretch he’d do more road games so he could be there for important games.
At this point it’s worth noting that Uecker is fantastic. He’s definitely worth getting an MLB.tv subscription just so you can listen to some Brewers games. They’re enjoyable even if you don’t like the Brewers. He’s just got the rhythm and the tone of baseball games on the radio down so perfect. Very few are able to pull that off like he does.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 28
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)