Jan 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker is one of the absolute best in the business. You don’t keep that job when you’re pushing 80 unless you are. But it’s also a hard job as far as travel and grind goes, and that grind doesn’t wear so well on an 80 year-old either. Uecker knows this and told Newsradio WTMJ 620 that he will be cutting back on road games for first time during 2014 season.
He’ll still do all home games and, if he follows the Vin Scully pattern, will likely do in-division road games to avoid the long flights. In fact he tells WTMJ that he talked to Scully and Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman about how to structure a schedule that keeps him fresh. He also added, however, that it’s a fluid process and if the Brewers are in contention or something down the stretch he’d do more road games so he could be there for important games.
At this point it’s worth noting that Uecker is fantastic. He’s definitely worth getting an MLB.tv subscription just so you can listen to some Brewers games. They’re enjoyable even if you don’t like the Brewers. He’s just got the rhythm and the tone of baseball games on the radio down so perfect. Very few are able to pull that off like he does.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)