Bob Uecker to cut back his broadcast schedule

Jan 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Bob Uecker AP

Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker is one of the absolute best in the business. You don’t keep that job when you’re pushing 80 unless you are. But it’s also a hard job as far as travel and grind goes, and that grind doesn’t wear so well on an 80 year-old either. Uecker knows this and told Newsradio WTMJ 620 that he will be cutting back on road games for first time during 2014 season.

He’ll still do all home games and, if he follows the Vin Scully pattern, will likely do in-division road games to avoid the long flights. In fact he tells WTMJ that he talked to Scully and Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman about how to structure a schedule that keeps him fresh. He also added, however, that it’s a fluid process and if the Brewers are in contention or something down the stretch he’d do more road games so he could be there for important games.

At this point it’s worth noting that Uecker is fantastic. He’s definitely worth getting an MLB.tv subscription just so you can listen to some Brewers games. They’re enjoyable even if you don’t like the Brewers. He’s just got the rhythm and the tone of baseball games on the radio down so perfect. Very few are able to pull that off like he does.

1. clydeserra - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I love my mlb subscription for sampling other announcers. Uecker is great. I fear radio broadcasts are losing the last generation of people who are good radio voices.

A side note, I love love love the jays production. I like how the stadium announcer is brought up for each batter. Gives a great feel to the broadcast. makes me more into the game and it sounds great.

• lpjr - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM

xm radio baby! mlb is why I’ve got it, that and outlaw country. You always get the home team’s radio broadcast.

• chevroletmovietheatre - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I feared when we (Twins territory) lost John Gordon we would be stuck with Dan Gladden doing black-and-white, so glad we got Cory Provus, definitely has that great radio voice and used to work with Bob Uecker!

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM

How could anyone not love Uecker. A lot of people’s first experience with Ueck was from the classic Major League. He really was the best part about that movie. I only wish I was lucky enough to listen to him every day. Instead, I get Jim Palmer. Gag. Puke.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM

3. blue21c - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM

JUST a bit outside!!

• aceshigh11 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Man, beat me to it.

4. cackalackyank - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Does this mean he isn’t in the Front Row anymore?

5. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Uecker is great. As much as I love high definition tv one of the biggest drawbacks has been listening to the radio while still watching on tv. The delays are sometimes too much so ya have to do one or the other. For that reason I haven’t listend to Bob as much the last few years as I once did. I may just have to leave the tv off a few more times this year to make sure I don’t miss out on something I’ve taken for granted since I started watching baseball.

6. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Harry Doyle: In case you haven’t noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven’t

Probably my favorite line in the movie.

7. dodger88 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Just for my own clarification, does Uecker only do radio or does he still do TV for the Brewers?

• brewcrewfan54 - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Just radio. He’s never been their tv guy as far as I remember although I could be forgetting a season or 2 from when I was real young or not born yet.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

He did used to do national tv broadcasts at one time.

8. cardinal40 - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Hope he comes to Philadelphia.
    I liked his story, a couple years ago, about Gibson.
    Uecker walked to the mound to slow him down, Gibson saw him coming and shouted “What do you want” at him. Uecker said “Nothin’, I’m just going to Center to talk to Flood.”

9. boscoesworld - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Uke is a National Treasure!! I’ve listened to a lot of broadcasters but he really can put the game in perspective while still making you laugh your ars off!

10. babyfarkmcgeezax - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I don’t even care about the Brewers, but I’ll occasionally tune in to Brewers games with my mlb.tv subscription just to hear Uecker call a game. He’s one of the best. Soon there will be nothing but cookie-cutter announcers with no soul.

11. apeville - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Just grateful he’s doing as many as he’s doing. Enjoy the Uke!

12. RickyB - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I grew up a Yankee fan in Chicago, but I always enjoyed trying to tune in the Milwaukee broadcast when the Yanks were playing there back in the early ’80s. Uecker was, and remains, a terrific broadcaster. If you get the chance, call the Brewers main office and get put on hold just to hear some great Uecker calls from years past.

13. padraighansen - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I’d love to listen to Scully, Ueck, and Brennamen all call games together. That’d be the best.

14. onbucky96 - Jan 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Highlights brought to you by…I can’t find it. The Hell with it!

15. ptfu - Jan 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Might as well add “games called” to the Long List of Things Bob Uecker is Last At.

Seriously though, Uek’s the best. His HOF/Ford Frick award speech is absolutely fantastic.

16. 6stn - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I saw the last home run of his career. July 23, 1967. Busch Stadium, St. Louis. Over the wagon gate in left field. It was one of the twenty or thirty greatest moments of that afternoon in major league baseball.

• assuredsvcsllc - Jan 31, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Uecker would say the same thing about that homer.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3473)