David Ortiz doesn’t want anything crazy. Just a one-year extension

Jan 30, 2014, 9:07 AM EST

Division Series - Tampa Bay Rays v Boston Red Sox - Game Two Getty Images

The other day David Ortiz was reported to be demanding a long-term deal from the Red Sox or else he’ll walk. To the extent that was anyone’s takeaway, he’d like to correct the record. Here he is talking to Rob Bradford of WEEI:

“We’re good. We talked, they’re talking and I just asked for one year. I didn’t ask for anything crazy. It wasn’t like I asked for a five-year deal. It’s a one-year extension I asked for”

Ortiz says that talks with the team about it have been good and everyone’s happy with each other. So stand down from Big Papi alert status 1.

1. dan1111 - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:14 AM

That sounds more reasonable. I thought the original controversy was classic “ask him a controversial question, then freak out when he answers ‘yeah'”.

2. alexo0 - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM

The Boston (and New York) media are very saddened by this development.

3. mikhelb - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Good old Ortíz chaning his tune as always, he was asked by Gammons “what if the Red Sox don’t offer you a multi-year deal?” and he answered “then it is time to move one”. He already did that when he promised to clear the air on the substances he failed the doping tests (and yet he has been associated with known steroid dealer Angel Presinal who is banned by MLB and whose association with ARod/Colón/Melky/Palmeiro is what made MLB cringe).

Oooww MLB Network (“Hot Stove” show) went in and hard right now on Dan Shaugnessy with him live by criticizing Ortíz and his demands… dang, reminds me of when Ortíz sent John Henry in front to demand Shaugnessy to be shut up and to not talk about failed doping tests of David.

4. dlgdc - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM

This is all standard operating procedure for Ortiz. He had another fantastic year but the Red Sox didn’t approach him to talk about an extension so he tells the media he has been disrespected. The Sox reach out to him, stroke his ego a bit, and now he says “we’re good.” Typical passive-aggressive, offseason Papi behavior. Craig, next January you can run the same series of posts about his contract issues.

• dan1111 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM

The ironic part is, they were trying to call him the whole time to offer an extension, but for some reason the phone wasn’t working.

5. mikhelb - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Good to know that per Ortíz we don’t know how to understand what he said in “it is time to move on” after he was asked what would happen if he wasn’t offered a multiple year deal. We are supposed to know that it meant “it is time to move on FROM that and ask for a one year deeal”.

6. themuddychicken - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I was surprised by the initial outrage, is this not roughly what we were expecting to happen? I figure they’ll be tacking on one extra year each year he keeps producing. That way, a) he’ll always have security for the following year, and b) when he falls off for good, the Sox only have 1 year to eat.

7. uyf1950 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM

First off let me say I don’t feel that a one year extension is an unreasonable request after the year and post season he had last season. Having said that I kind of get the feeling that this is going to be a yearly ritual with Ortiz. Come the end of one season/prior to the start of another season Ortiz is going to go on record as wanting an extension. So that he is never really in the final year of a contract. That’ just seems like the direction Ortiz is going in.

8. Mark Armour - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM

The Red Sox will never win the World Series with selfish me-first players like David Ortiz around. When will they learn?

• pastabelly - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I don’t think Ortiz is selfish. I actually thought asking for multiple years was done because he actually loves being in Boston. This was more about years than money. The only thing he didn’t need to do was tell Gammons that he would “move on”. Fans don’t want to hear that. David should just negotiate in private and not in the press.

9. yordo - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I must have really offended him. Good job. Good effort.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2719)
  2. W. Myers (2453)
  3. C. McGehee (2071)
  4. D. Ross (2047)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1925)
  1. J. Shields (1806)