Ian Kinsler rejected a possible trade to the Blue Jays

Jan 30, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT

Ian Kinsler Getty Getty Images

Shi Davidi of SportsNet reports that the Jays had two potential trades fall through this offseason: one for Brett Anderson, one for Ian Kinsler. The Anderson deal fell through due to the Jays’ concern over his health. Kinsler was a different matter:

But a potential deal was scuttled by the three-time all-star’s no-trade clause, leaving the Rangers to look elsewhere, and the Blue Jays to anoint rookie Ryan Goins as the front-runner at second base.

You wonder what caused the rejection. Could be any number of things. The fact that the Jays still likely profile as a bottom-of-the-division team. Canadian taxes. A long blood-feud with Adam Lind. The possibilities are endless.

I wonder about the turf. Only two ballparks in the game still have fake grass and one of them is Toronto. Players hate that stuff. The Jays are slated to lose the turf by 2018 when the Argonauts leave Rogers Centre. You have to think it’ll help their chances to attract better players.

1. historiophiliac - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM

/sobs

2. jeffbbf - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:56 AM

MLBN (Rosenthal, I think) reported that the Kinsler trade talks never made it far enough for Kinsler to reject it.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:08 AM

It may not have been a formal rejection.

It might have just been a text exchange.

“Blue Jays?”
      “Hahahaha. No.”

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM

He probably heard that Justin Bieber was going to be deported and didn’t want to live in the same city with the little slug. But then, who would want their 280SEL to be egged and spray painted?

• mikhelb - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Nope, Rosenthal said that Kinsler wasn’t even contacted… that there was something else.

3. rdillon99 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM

If the players going to Texas in this deal included either Bautista or EE, I am glad that it didn’t happen

4. gibbyfan - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:25 AM

All other factors being equal , for example contractual terms, I guess if a player cares about being part of a winning franchise, this seems understandable. Probably happens all the time as was mentioned above on an informal basis.

5. RoyHobbs39 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Eagerly awaiting the wise words of wisdom from dirtyharry,,,

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Why, are you flagellating yourself over something you did to a loved one once?

• asimonetti88 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I was about to say, he’s gotta be stoked on all the Blue Jays news of the last two days.

• km9000 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Yeah, they really went ahead and made his day.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:14 AM

ba-dum-tshhh

• nbjays - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM

dirtyharry’s wisdom… bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Now THERE’S an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Yeah, I’m about as anxious for more of that as I am for my childhood chickenpox to blossom into shingles.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:44 PM

well thank you I hate to keep my fans waiting but seriously why would anyone be surprised by this? Anderson is a good pitcher and if he comes back from his health issue he is a fine pickup and in Ian’s case he’s used to going to the postseason. Why the hell would he want to go to the jays who haven’t sniffed the postseason since 1993!

6. proudlycanadian - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Interesting speculation. There was a report earlier, that a three way trade involving the Jays and Texas fell through because a player flunked his physical. Were Kinsler and Anderson part of that proposed 3 team trade?

• mikhelb - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Yes, and it was Anderson who failed his physical but the A’s still found a way to move him (to Colorado).

7. cackalackyank - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM

OK, this dispels a misconception I had. I thought Kinsler was traded to Detroit, because Detroit was looking for a partner in order to dump Fielder’s contract. This makes it appear that the Rangers were at least as interested in moving Kinsler, maybe more.

8. ireportyoudecide - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Have you ever been to Toronto? It would be my last pick amongst all 30 teams as well. One look in the vending machine is all it took for me. Doritos? NO. Snickers? NO. Instead they fill it with ketchup chips and chocolate smarties. Good decision Mr. Kinsler.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:49 PM

LOL! You are all class.

9. canadatude - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Class act is right! We have world class dining in the Great White North and this guy eats out of a vending machine?

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, really. I bet he’s never even tried poutine. It goes so well with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Then again, though, he’s probably never tried the smoked meat sandwiches, maple beef bacon donuts or cabbage borscht at Caplansky’s either, not to mention the transcendent rougelach at Yitz’s. Obviously, this guy’s never explored Toronto with his palate.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:46 PM

you have nothing but draft dodgers who came there looking to hide, home of the cowards!!

• RoyHobbs39 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:10 AM

And there it is…

10. muckey - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I wonder why players hate turf. I play football on turf and I can tell you that I hope I never have to go back to playing on grass. I’t interestig that in baseball all teams are going to grass and while in football it seems to be the opposite. I can understand if this was the old turf from the Astrodome and Expos stadium days but this new turf is pretty damn close to real grass.

11. mydoglouie - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Do your homework Craig. The Canadian tax issue is negligible.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2995)