Michael Young is retiring

Jan 30, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT

Michael Young AP AP

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Michael Young has decided to retire at age 37 rather than accept an offer from, among other teams, the Dodgers.

Young played 14 seasons in the majors, the first 13 with the Rangers and last year split between the Phillies and Dodgers. He hit an even .300 with 185 homers and a .787 OPS, although his production away from Texas’ hitter-friendly ballpark was generally underwhelming. Young made seven All-Star teams, won a batting title in 2005, and played at least 100 games at all four infield positions.

He previously indicated that the Dodgers would be his choice if he decided to continue playing, but Young also cited a desire to spend more time with his family. Last season he hit .279 with eight homers and a .730 OPS in 147 games.

1. toodrunktotastethischicken - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Had the chance to watch him a handful of times in Philadelphia last season. Wish him the best!

2. chaseutley - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I’m with Michael Young. It’s not worth the effort if you’re gonna get stuck at second.

• braxtonrob - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM

2B is his best position. I don’t think that’s why he left; I think it was the high probability he wouldn’t get to play everyday.

3. hoopmatch - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM

He will be missed in fantasy leagues. You could put him into at least three positions.

• vivabear - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:17 PM

“You could put him into at least three positions.”

Michael Young has at least something in common with Old Gator’s ex-wife. You, as in you=anyone who wishes to do so.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Jesus Christ. What’s the matter with you? Tasteless, classless jerk.

• historiophiliac - Jan 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Clearly, you went to the Matt Garza school of jackassary. If you have a beef with OG, stick to talking about OG. Also, you can’t compete with OG — you probably know that, which is why you take crappy potshots at his ex (does he even have one?). FYI, it doesn’t do anything but make you look like a terrible person. If you’re trying to discredit OG, you are doing the exact opposite.

• vivabear - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Histrio – obviously I don’t like my joke. I’m ok with that.

• vivabear - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM

*I = u

• chinahand11 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM

That was rather low, sir.

• stex52 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Scuzzy move viva. You ought to man up and face Gator.

4. cackalackyank - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I said it before and I will reiterate it now. A commendable gesture to walk away from offers of several million bucks. Other guys quit because no one will give them a sniff. Some actually do have the strength of character to go on their own terms. Good to know.

• paperlions - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Guys that play until no one offers them a deal are also going out on their own terms, their terms are just different: one guy plays until he doesn’t want to, the other plays until no one will pay him….each set his own parameters. It is judgmental foolishness to deride a player for playing until no one will offer him a contract. If you love doing something and don’t know any other career, there is no shame in doing it as long as you can.

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Well said.

• cackalackyank - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:24 PM

So you’re saying not knowing when to quit is a good thing? Kinda silly.

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM

You obviously think it’s a good thing “Cackalack” since you’re still going.

• historiophiliac - Jan 30, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I think the larger point is that children are horrible. They make you want to quit baseball. Monsters.

• clydeserra - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM

look at Rickey. He played well beyond the time anyone would give him a contract.

• cackalackyank - Jan 30, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Yes I will keep trying to say something that makes sense as long as there are idiots like you dylanthom2013. Let me illustrate: my point
      ——————–
      your head

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Wow, that was funny…you know, if you wanted to use humor to demonstrate a point, all you had to do was pull down your pants.

5. braddavery - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM

One way skyrocketing contracts during the last three decades is making baseball less enjoyable, it is allowing for older players who may have played one/two+ more, in the past, to simply hang it up. Sure makes it an easier decision to hang it up to “spend time with family” when you have banked $10s of millions, and in many cases, over $100 million. Look at a guy like Carlos Lee. He could still play, but he made over $130 million in his career. If he started in the early ’80s, he would have played until he was in his 40s, but since he raked in the dough, he calls it quits while still being able to play at a higher than average level. Chipper Jones is another. Same story with Michael Young and man others to come. Not many players will play for the love of the game until they have to be shown the door like, Bobby Abreu, Julio Franco or Jamie Moyer. They banked hardcore, now retire early and enjoy life. Sucks for us baseball fans though.

6. tomcreanshair - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I’m with paperlions on this one. You’d have to drag me screaming and kicking off that field…..

• chinahand11 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:39 PM

So true, if I had the opportunity to play baseball for a living they would have to shoot me with a tranquilizer dart and drag me off the field. Yet I bleed for my heroes when I watch them get old and begin to fade. Still, even then I hope they can find the good old stuff for one more game or series. Ricky played in a couple of independent leagues, I believe. I realize Ricky is a different kind of cat, but why the heck not? Apparently, he liked to play baseball.

And Mike Young was always a stand-up guy to the best of my knowledge. I’m sure he invested wisely. Getting more involved with your family, that’s hard to top.

7. mtr75 - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Well he made $90 million in his career and presumably didn’t spend it all on jewelry and Bentleys.

8. keltictim - Jan 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Millions on the table. Hell even the league minimum would make it very tough for me to walk away from playing a game. I guess it really all in your perspective. Nah even if I made over 100 mil is still wanna grab every dime I could ensuring future generations of my family are rich enough for tmz to cover their antics.

• happytwinsfan - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:11 PM

disagree about leaving your kids and their kids set for life. i think that putting your kids in position where they don’t have to work, would be one of the worst things you could do to them. however, unfortunately, this is nowhere near an issue for me.

9. hardjudge - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Michael Young always a classy individual, on and off the field. He and his wife did much charity work in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Yes, walking away from millions is hard, I am sure, but spending time with his children can never be replaced. Good luck, Michael in all your future endeavors!

10. peddealer - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Will miss you Mike!

Justin in Arlington

11. 18thstreet - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Area Nerds Seek New Target.

12. hardjudge - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM

and leave Old Gator alone, old gators are hard to find since Spurrier left!

13. greej1938l - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Haha I hear ya twins fan!

14. drs76109 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Won’t be surprised to see him hired in the Rangers organization in so e capacity. Well regarded in the DFW area. Also in my hometown of Philadelphia, too (zee here, seemingly, all players go to end their careers).

Would also not be surprised to see him in DFW politics someday, too.

15. braxtonrob - Feb 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I can think of 30 MLB teams not smart enough to make this guy an offer to be their everyday 2B’man over the next few seasons. He CONTINUES to be one of the most underrated middle infielders in the history of the game. (He wasn’t good at the corners, out-of–position to accommodate perception.)

But, at least he’ll retire with a .300 AVG, more rare than most people realize (especially for someone with over 2,300 Hits.
    If ‘character’ means ANYTHING to HOF voters (like they claim it does lately), then this guy should be a no-brainer.

16. Fantasy Football Consultant - Feb 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

It is no longer worth reading, or commenting on this site. It’s infested with the click. Intelligence is overrated here.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4993)