Jan 30, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
Is it a conflict of interests if you’re not really a reporter? It appears NESN may think so.
The Boston Herald’s Inside Track reports that Red Sox “sideline reporter” Jenny Dell has been reassigned by NESN after she and Boston third baseman Will Middlebrooks went public with their relationship on New Year’s Day by tweeting pictures with one another. While that wasn’t given as a reason for the move, the timing makes it pretty obvious.
Still, one wonders if it was really a necessary step for NESN. Dell’s role is certainly much more one of public relations than reporting. If she were covering the Red Sox for the Herald or the Globe, of course the relationship would be inappropriate. Really, though, her reporting on the team consists of press releases and materials given to her by NESN. On the other hand, interviews with players are a big part of her job and those could, on occasion, become awkward, particularly if she’s talking to someone who might be competing with Middlebrooks for playing time; the players might not always keep it professional.
Regardless, Dell figures to land on her feet. She’s still employed by NESN at the moment, but there’s been talk of her joining FOX Sports 1.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)