Jan 30, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
Is it a conflict of interests if you’re not really a reporter? It appears NESN may think so.
The Boston Herald’s Inside Track reports that Red Sox “sideline reporter” Jenny Dell has been reassigned by NESN after she and Boston third baseman Will Middlebrooks went public with their relationship on New Year’s Day by tweeting pictures with one another. While that wasn’t given as a reason for the move, the timing makes it pretty obvious.
Still, one wonders if it was really a necessary step for NESN. Dell’s role is certainly much more one of public relations than reporting. If she were covering the Red Sox for the Herald or the Globe, of course the relationship would be inappropriate. Really, though, her reporting on the team consists of press releases and materials given to her by NESN. On the other hand, interviews with players are a big part of her job and those could, on occasion, become awkward, particularly if she’s talking to someone who might be competing with Middlebrooks for playing time; the players might not always keep it professional.
Regardless, Dell figures to land on her feet. She’s still employed by NESN at the moment, but there’s been talk of her joining FOX Sports 1.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)