Jan 30, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
Is it a conflict of interests if you’re not really a reporter? It appears NESN may think so.
The Boston Herald’s Inside Track reports that Red Sox “sideline reporter” Jenny Dell has been reassigned by NESN after she and Boston third baseman Will Middlebrooks went public with their relationship on New Year’s Day by tweeting pictures with one another. While that wasn’t given as a reason for the move, the timing makes it pretty obvious.
Still, one wonders if it was really a necessary step for NESN. Dell’s role is certainly much more one of public relations than reporting. If she were covering the Red Sox for the Herald or the Globe, of course the relationship would be inappropriate. Really, though, her reporting on the team consists of press releases and materials given to her by NESN. On the other hand, interviews with players are a big part of her job and those could, on occasion, become awkward, particularly if she’s talking to someone who might be competing with Middlebrooks for playing time; the players might not always keep it professional.
Regardless, Dell figures to land on her feet. She’s still employed by NESN at the moment, but there’s been talk of her joining FOX Sports 1.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)