Jan 30, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
Chen is coming off his best season in a decade thanks largely to success after shifting to a relief role, but at age 37 he understandably didn’t draw a ton of interest on the open market.
Overall last season he threw 121 innings with a 3.27 ERA and 78/36 K/BB ratio, making 15 starts and 19 relief appearances. However, in 2012 he posted a 5.07 ERA in 34 starts and served up 33 homers in 192 innings.
UPDATE: It’s a one-year, $4.25 million deal for Chen, with a mutual option for 2015.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 9
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 45
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86