Jan 30, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
Chen is coming off his best season in a decade thanks largely to success after shifting to a relief role, but at age 37 he understandably didn’t draw a ton of interest on the open market.
Overall last season he threw 121 innings with a 3.27 ERA and 78/36 K/BB ratio, making 15 starts and 19 relief appearances. However, in 2012 he posted a 5.07 ERA in 34 starts and served up 33 homers in 192 innings.
UPDATE: It’s a one-year, $4.25 million deal for Chen, with a mutual option for 2015.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)