Jan 30, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Chen is coming off his best season in a decade thanks largely to success after shifting to a relief role, but at age 37 he understandably didn’t draw a ton of interest on the open market.
Overall last season he threw 121 innings with a 3.27 ERA and 78/36 K/BB ratio, making 15 starts and 19 relief appearances. However, in 2012 he posted a 5.07 ERA in 34 starts and served up 33 homers in 192 innings.
UPDATE: It’s a one-year, $4.25 million deal for Chen, with a mutual option for 2015.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)