Jan 30, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Chen is coming off his best season in a decade thanks largely to success after shifting to a relief role, but at age 37 he understandably didn’t draw a ton of interest on the open market.
Overall last season he threw 121 innings with a 3.27 ERA and 78/36 K/BB ratio, making 15 starts and 19 relief appearances. However, in 2012 he posted a 5.07 ERA in 34 starts and served up 33 homers in 192 innings.
UPDATE: It’s a one-year, $4.25 million deal for Chen, with a mutual option for 2015.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 45
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)