Jan 30, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Chen is coming off his best season in a decade thanks largely to success after shifting to a relief role, but at age 37 he understandably didn’t draw a ton of interest on the open market.
Overall last season he threw 121 innings with a 3.27 ERA and 78/36 K/BB ratio, making 15 starts and 19 relief appearances. However, in 2012 he posted a 5.07 ERA in 34 starts and served up 33 homers in 192 innings.
UPDATE: It’s a one-year, $4.25 million deal for Chen, with a mutual option for 2015.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)