Jan 30, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT
Yesterday I posted that news article from the late 70s about Guided By Voices leader Bob Pollard’s no-hitter when he played for Wright State University. It was news to me and baseball fans who only casually follow GBV (or don’t really follow much at all) but it’s something that was apparently well-known by serious GBV fans for a long time. That’s how that sort of stuff works I guess.
One of the guys who knew about it Matt Hickey of Magnet. He talked to Pollard about his no-hitter and got the total lowdown on that game, Pollard’s many other no-hitters from little league through college and Pollard’s pitching repertoire in general. On the Wright State no-no:
I didn’t know that I had a no-hitter going. A run had scored, I guess on a couple of walks and errors, so I had assumed that a hit fell in at some point, which is actually a good thing because it took some pressure off . . . I struck out the final batter and our bench came running out and mobbed me, and I completely didn’t know what was happening. I was like, “What?” and they were like, “You threw a no-hitter!”
Kind of Edwin Jackson-esque, I’d imagine.
Good stuff. It’s not every day you hear a rock god talking about his slider.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)