Jan 30, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT
Yesterday I posted that news article from the late 70s about Guided By Voices leader Bob Pollard’s no-hitter when he played for Wright State University. It was news to me and baseball fans who only casually follow GBV (or don’t really follow much at all) but it’s something that was apparently well-known by serious GBV fans for a long time. That’s how that sort of stuff works I guess.
One of the guys who knew about it Matt Hickey of Magnet. He talked to Pollard about his no-hitter and got the total lowdown on that game, Pollard’s many other no-hitters from little league through college and Pollard’s pitching repertoire in general. On the Wright State no-no:
I didn’t know that I had a no-hitter going. A run had scored, I guess on a couple of walks and errors, so I had assumed that a hit fell in at some point, which is actually a good thing because it took some pressure off . . . I struck out the final batter and our bench came running out and mobbed me, and I completely didn’t know what was happening. I was like, “What?” and they were like, “You threw a no-hitter!”
Kind of Edwin Jackson-esque, I’d imagine.
Good stuff. It’s not every day you hear a rock god talking about his slider.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)