Jan 30, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT
Yesterday I posted that news article from the late 70s about Guided By Voices leader Bob Pollard’s no-hitter when he played for Wright State University. It was news to me and baseball fans who only casually follow GBV (or don’t really follow much at all) but it’s something that was apparently well-known by serious GBV fans for a long time. That’s how that sort of stuff works I guess.
One of the guys who knew about it Matt Hickey of Magnet. He talked to Pollard about his no-hitter and got the total lowdown on that game, Pollard’s many other no-hitters from little league through college and Pollard’s pitching repertoire in general. On the Wright State no-no:
I didn’t know that I had a no-hitter going. A run had scored, I guess on a couple of walks and errors, so I had assumed that a hit fell in at some point, which is actually a good thing because it took some pressure off . . . I struck out the final batter and our bench came running out and mobbed me, and I completely didn’t know what was happening. I was like, “What?” and they were like, “You threw a no-hitter!”
Kind of Edwin Jackson-esque, I’d imagine.
Good stuff. It’s not every day you hear a rock god talking about his slider.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)