Sounds like Bob Pollard’s no-hitter was of the Edwin Jackson variety

Jan 30, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.01.36 PM

Yesterday I posted that news article from the late 70s about Guided By Voices leader Bob Pollard’s no-hitter when he played for Wright State University. It was news to me and baseball fans who only casually follow GBV (or don’t really follow much at all) but it’s something that was apparently well-known by serious GBV fans for a long time. That’s how that sort of stuff works I guess.

One of the guys who knew about it Matt Hickey of Magnet. He talked to Pollard about his no-hitter and got the total lowdown on that game, Pollard’s many other no-hitters from little league through college and Pollard’s pitching repertoire in general. On the Wright State no-no:

I didn’t know that I had a no-hitter going. A run had scored, I guess on a couple of walks and errors, so I had assumed that a hit fell in at some point, which is actually a good thing because it took some pressure off . . . I struck out the final batter and our bench came running out and mobbed me, and I completely didn’t know what was happening. I was like, “What?” and they were like, “You threw a no-hitter!”

Kind of Edwin Jackson-esque, I’d imagine.

Good stuff. It’s not every day you hear a rock god talking about his slider.

1. rbj1 - Jan 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM

At least he didn’t get Andy Hawkinsed

2. El Bravo - Jan 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I bet Beibz can throw a sweet slider.

3. chrisdtx - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Word is that the Wright State team was a bunch of jerks. This truly was a game of pricks.

4. cohnjusack - Jan 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM

I’m assuming Pollard wasn’t aware he had a no hitter going because he was drunk at the time.

Law of averages, you know?

5. nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:06 PM

This sounds a little like Don Larsen’s perfecto. He said a few years ago that while he was aware of his no-hitter, he not only didn’t know he had a perfect game going, he didn’t even know what one was. There hadn’t been one in MLB in more than 30 years.
    It does sound better than a Dock Ellis no-hitter, done on PCD’s (perception contorting drugs); and is definitely better than a Mets no-hitter — you know, when there actually is a base hit but the umps miss it.

6. sdiegosteel - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Is this all a lead up to a Pitchfork-Hardball Talk collaborative site? You guys write about indie rockers who played baseball and they can go back to review SF Seal’s “Dock Ellis” and Belle & Sebastian’s “Piazza New York Catcher”. Two great things that taste great together!

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline