Jan 30, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Yesterday I posted that news article from the late 70s about Guided By Voices leader Bob Pollard’s no-hitter when he played for Wright State University. It was news to me and baseball fans who only casually follow GBV (or don’t really follow much at all) but it’s something that was apparently well-known by serious GBV fans for a long time. That’s how that sort of stuff works I guess.
One of the guys who knew about it Matt Hickey of Magnet. He talked to Pollard about his no-hitter and got the total lowdown on that game, Pollard’s many other no-hitters from little league through college and Pollard’s pitching repertoire in general. On the Wright State no-no:
I didn’t know that I had a no-hitter going. A run had scored, I guess on a couple of walks and errors, so I had assumed that a hit fell in at some point, which is actually a good thing because it took some pressure off . . . I struck out the final batter and our bench came running out and mobbed me, and I completely didn’t know what was happening. I was like, “What?” and they were like, “You threw a no-hitter!”
Kind of Edwin Jackson-esque, I’d imagine.
Good stuff. It’s not every day you hear a rock god talking about his slider.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)