The Dodgers introduce an alternate road jersey. But don’t worry: It’s not a big deal.

Jan 30, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

When I first saw tweets saying that the Dodgers were introducing alternate road jerseys, I had a brief moment of panic, picturing one of the most classically-attired baseball teams going to solid blue pajama tops or vests or something awful.  But nope, it’s just a switch to “Dodgers” across the chest of the road grays from “Los Angeles.”

This is a look much like what the Dodgers had as their everyday roadies from 1970 through 1998. The re-introduction of “Los Angeles” on the roadies occurred in 1999 (although it came first with a hideous vest). Other than that, they’ve only experimented with occasional throwbacks, keeping it pretty straightforward.

This year they’ll use both the “Los Angeles” and the “Dodgers” script. Either one is pretty classic. No complaints here.

1. phantomspaceman - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM

It may be a weird preference but I always liked the city name on the road uniform and the nickname on the home uniform.

• shawndc04 - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I totally agree. I don’t find it weird at all.

• kellyb9 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM

In all seriousness, I don’t get why most teams have a gray version of their home jersey… just seems so blah. With the city name, it actually gives people a reason to go out and buy road jerseys. I would love for my Phillies to have Philadelphia represented on their road uniforms.

• kopy - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:27 AM

That’s the original intention. City names were always on the road uniform so that the home team’s fans would know where the visitors are from.

It’s a little outdated now, but it still helps a very casual fan who turns on the TV and can see the opposing uniforms.

2. natstowngreg - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Whew. As a fan of “classic” uniforms like the Dodgers’, you had me worried for a moment. Good to see the new ownership stick to the classics.

3. The Dangerous Mabry - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I’m a big fan of using city names (or I guess state names for someone like the Rangers) on the road unis. It hearkens back to a time when fans might not know who the team was, but they’d be able to say “Oh, these are the boys from St Louis! Capital!” Team names at home, place names on the road. That’s my preference.

That said, these are classy and not at all the kind of mess we see too often nowadays with uniforms. I think they may have turned the “drama” filter up to 11 on the camera when they took that picture, though. I like my baseball warm and sunny, not dark and stormy.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

“these are the boys from St. Louis!”

Reminds me of my girlfriend this past World Series. She watches a Cardinal pitcher look in for the sign with a clear picture of the “StL” logo on the Cardinals caps. She then proceeds to ask “Are they playing in Salt Lake City or Boston this game?”

Even if you didn’t feel it, every baseball fan died a little bit inside.

• losangelesfan - Jan 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

“Say ‘Braves’ and people ask, ‘What reservation?’ Say ‘Reds’ and they think of communism. Say ‘Padres’ and they look around for a priest. Say ‘Cardinals’ and they ask if you’re Catholic. Say ‘Yankees’ and they ask if you’re from New England.

But, when you say ‘Dodgers’ people know you’re talking about baseball.”

-Tom Lasorda

• indaburg - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:29 PM

You need a woman who likes baseball.

4. Bob - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Hate the Dodgers, but love this jersey. It’s reminiscent more of the jerseys worn in the early-to-mid ’70s with no wordmark outline and no sleeve piping or cuffs. Dodgers brought in white outline to wordmark and sleeve cuffs in ’77, and I didn’t like that as much. I like the current road jersey because it doesn’t have the word outline, and I’m glad these new alts don’t have ‘em, either.

5. Bob - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM

And I don’t remember the road vest. I saw the Dodgers play in Houston in the ’99 Astrodome regular-season finale and they were wearing sleeves.

6. historiophiliac - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Hey, the picture in the promos led me to believe I was going to see more Matt Kemp. >:( I’m kinda salty now.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto