Vin Scully will travel to Australia to broadcast the Dodgers-Dbacks series

Jan 30, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT

scully ap AP

Bob Uecker is cutting back on his road trips, but Vin Scully is going to the other side of the world for one:

Scully, who normally only makes road games to cities in the West, said he will broadcast the Dodgers’ two games in Sydney, Australia, to open the season March 22 against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

“They asked me to go because they’re the first games to be broadcast by Time Warner,” Scully said. “So I said, `Sure, I’ll go.’ ”

Scully normally limits his road travel to games in California and Arizona. Dude won’t even go to Denver, but he’ll go to Australia. Bet that makes you feel special, Rockies fans!

1. sjs1959 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM

It makes sense to me; it’s not like the legalization of weed in Colorado would make a difference to Vin!

• sabatimus - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I don’t go to Denver due to the low oxygen. I’m very sensitive to it and when I was there once I could barely breathe the whole time.

• nbjays - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Not sure the level of breatheable oxygen in Denver can be any lower that that in Los Angeles on any given day.

2. chacochicken - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Watch out for the rabbits, and the dingoes, and the platypuses, and the surfers, and the Yowie, and crocodiles, and pretty much everything.

• dan1111 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Drop bears.

• granadafan - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Surfers? Vin lives in LA.

• chacochicken - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Australian surfers, like Paul Hogan, the Hemsworths, and singing Russell Crowe.

• 4d3fect - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM

and the bogans. and the yobbos. and the wankers.

3. natstowngreg - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

The Dodgers playing a series in Washington (just to pick an Eastern team at random) is not an occasion.

The Dodgers playing MLB games in Australie is an occasion.

For an occasion, you need Vin Scully.

• natstowngreg - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I assume they will also be playing in Australia.

4. ch0psuey - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Scully Down ‘Under mate.

5. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I don’t mean to be disrespectful to Mr. Scully, just going to point out how incredibly ridiculous it is that the first games of the season will be played in Australia at 4am EST. Apparently it’s more important to get fans excited about the season by doing something weird/strange rather than actually let them watch the damn game.

• sabatimus - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM

To me it’s like those dumb regular-season games that take place in Japan, only to go back to spring training for another week or two, after which the “real” regular season begins. I think it’s stupid, and I’m not sure how MLB benefits, since most people aren’t going to get up super-early to watch the game.

• APBA Guy - Jan 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM

It’s part of MLB’s efforts to extend the sport internationally. Australia has contributed a few players to MLB now, and like the opening day games in Japan, MLB is fanning the flames of baseball interest in Australia now. Maybe next year it will be Korea, or Brasil, or who knows, but there will be more of this.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:01 PM

The MLB needs to fan the flames of baseball interest in Japan?

• davidpom50 - Jan 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM

In Japan, no. But they DO need to fan the flames of MLB (as opposed to NPB) interest.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4062)