Jan 31, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
A.J. Burnett recently announced that he will pitch for at least one more season before hanging up the spikes. That drew the attention of several teams instantaneously. The Pirates, of course, who had been waiting all off-season for Burnett to make a decision. The Orioles, in need of an upgrade in the rotation. The Phillies, who don’t have much beyond Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee.
According to TSN, you can add the Blue Jays into the mix as well.
Reports surfacing Wednesday in The Globe and Mail and Thursday in the Toronto Star suggest that the Jays could be considering a run at free agent starter A.J. Burnett, now that he’s believed to be available.
If the Jays can’t land Burnett, who has said he would prefer to stay close to his home in Maryland, they could still go after Ervin Santana, Ubaldo Jimenez or Bronson Arroyo, three starters still available on the free agent market. Santana and Jimenez, though, are tied to draft pick compensation which make them less attractive.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)