Jan 31, 2014, 5:04 PM EDT
Jeff Fletcher of the OC Register reports that David Freese avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $5.05 million contract. That’s the midpoint between the $4.1 million the Angels offered and the $6 million Freese wanted.
He’s going to have to improve if he’s to be worth that money. In 2013 he hit a meager 262/.340/.381 with nine homers.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)