Jan 31, 2014, 5:04 PM EDT
Jeff Fletcher of the OC Register reports that David Freese avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $5.05 million contract. That’s the midpoint between the $4.1 million the Angels offered and the $6 million Freese wanted.
He’s going to have to improve if he’s to be worth that money. In 2013 he hit a meager 262/.340/.381 with nine homers.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)