Angels sign Yorvit Torrealba to a minor league deal

Jan 31, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT

Yorvit Torrealba Getty Getty Images

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Angels have signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Torrealba will aim to provide depth behind the dish with Chris Iannetta and Hank Conger.

Torrealba, 35, spent the 2013 season with the Rockies. He posted a .580 OPS in 196 trips to the plate, but the Angels are bringing him aboard more for his abilities behind the plate — he threw out nearly 30 percent of attempted base-stealers last season — and for his experience.

1. dinofrank60 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I understand signing guys to minor league contracts. But, how many guys are good major league ballplayers? It just seems that there are only 75-100 good players, the rest are so interchangable, you could put mannequins out there and get the same production.

That is an exaggeration, but with the super analysis and pointed opinions about value, it just seems that mediocrity is the norm. But that’s really not fair.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Mediocre means average.

So it doesn’t just SEEM that mediocre is the norm. It actually is.

• dinofrank60 - Feb 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I think mediocre is a little worse than average. The point is that, from the way people talk, this ain’t a good product.

2. tfbuckfutter - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:38 PM

If I didn’t follow baseball and was completely unaware of this guy’s existence, and someone pointed a gun to my head and asked me which was the name of a real person: Yorvit Torrealba or Tivroy Ablaerrot….there’s no way I would feel confident in my answer.

• km9000 - Feb 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Just don’t trick Yorvit into saying the latter out loud, or else he’ll have to serve a 90-day suspension in the 5th dimension.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3756)