Jan 31, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Angels have signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Torrealba will aim to provide depth behind the dish with Chris Iannetta and Hank Conger.
Torrealba, 35, spent the 2013 season with the Rockies. He posted a .580 OPS in 196 trips to the plate, but the Angels are bringing him aboard more for his abilities behind the plate — he threw out nearly 30 percent of attempted base-stealers last season — and for his experience.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)