Jan 31, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Angels have signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Torrealba will aim to provide depth behind the dish with Chris Iannetta and Hank Conger.
Torrealba, 35, spent the 2013 season with the Rockies. He posted a .580 OPS in 196 trips to the plate, but the Angels are bringing him aboard more for his abilities behind the plate — he threw out nearly 30 percent of attempted base-stealers last season — and for his experience.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)