Jan 31, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Angels have signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Torrealba will aim to provide depth behind the dish with Chris Iannetta and Hank Conger.
Torrealba, 35, spent the 2013 season with the Rockies. He posted a .580 OPS in 196 trips to the plate, but the Angels are bringing him aboard more for his abilities behind the plate — he threw out nearly 30 percent of attempted base-stealers last season — and for his experience.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)