Jan 31, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Angels have signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Torrealba will aim to provide depth behind the dish with Chris Iannetta and Hank Conger.
Torrealba, 35, spent the 2013 season with the Rockies. He posted a .580 OPS in 196 trips to the plate, but the Angels are bringing him aboard more for his abilities behind the plate — he threw out nearly 30 percent of attempted base-stealers last season — and for his experience.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)