Jan 31, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Whether he likes it or not, Giants catcher Buster Posey has become the poster child for the home plate collision controversy. In 2011, Posey was bowled over at home plate by Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins, suffering a myriad of season-ending injuries: a fractured leg and three torn ankle ligaments. Since then, other catchers have suffered — unnecessarily, some would argue — concussions and other, less severe injuries. Rule changes have been proposed, but if you’re looking for Posey’s opinion, you won’t be hearing it.
“I try to keep myself out of the conversation as much as I can, because I know people will connect me to it regardless,” said Posey [...]
“I’m kind of sitting back and letting the higher powers figure it out. I have my thoughts, but I’ll keep them to myself.”
Posey added that he doesn’t want it to be about him, which is respectable and admirable.
As Baggarly explains, the proposed rule changes would make hits like the one that ended Posey’s 2011 season illegal. However, any official rule changes are unlikely to be adopted in time for the beginning of the season.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 215
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (215)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)