Jan 31, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Whether he likes it or not, Giants catcher Buster Posey has become the poster child for the home plate collision controversy. In 2011, Posey was bowled over at home plate by Marlins outfielder Scott Cousins, suffering a myriad of season-ending injuries: a fractured leg and three torn ankle ligaments. Since then, other catchers have suffered — unnecessarily, some would argue — concussions and other, less severe injuries. Rule changes have been proposed, but if you’re looking for Posey’s opinion, you won’t be hearing it.
“I try to keep myself out of the conversation as much as I can, because I know people will connect me to it regardless,” said Posey […]
“I’m kind of sitting back and letting the higher powers figure it out. I have my thoughts, but I’ll keep them to myself.”
Posey added that he doesn’t want it to be about him, which is respectable and admirable.
As Baggarly explains, the proposed rule changes would make hits like the one that ended Posey’s 2011 season illegal. However, any official rule changes are unlikely to be adopted in time for the beginning of the season.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)