Jan 31, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
McDonald, 29, suffered a strained shoulder after his sixth start with the Pirates last season. He did not return, finishing 2013 with a 5.76 ERA in 29 2/3 innings of work. In the past, McDonald has shown glimmers of promise with a decent ability to miss bats but control and a tendency to give up home runs have held him back.
McDonald will try to win a spot at the back of the Cubs’ starting rotation, but he could also end up contributing out of the bullpen at some point.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)