Jan 31, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Despite rumors to the contrary the Cubs were, in fact, outbid for Masahiro Tanaka, so now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’ve decided to add free agent Jason Hammel to the starting rotation.
Hammel had a career-year for the Orioles in 2012, but resumed being a back-of-the-rotation starter with a 4.97 ERA and 96/48 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last season. His velocity and strikeout rate were both down and the 31-year-old right-hander missed time with forearm problems, in addition to the knee injury that cost him time in 2012.
At one point Hammel was said to be seeking a three- or four-year contract, but Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says the Cubs got him for a one-year, $6 million deal with another $1 million in potential incentives.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)