Jan 31, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Despite rumors to the contrary the Cubs were, in fact, outbid for Masahiro Tanaka, so now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’ve decided to add free agent Jason Hammel to the starting rotation.
Hammel had a career-year for the Orioles in 2012, but resumed being a back-of-the-rotation starter with a 4.97 ERA and 96/48 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last season. His velocity and strikeout rate were both down and the 31-year-old right-hander missed time with forearm problems, in addition to the knee injury that cost him time in 2012.
At one point Hammel was said to be seeking a three- or four-year contract, but Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says the Cubs got him for a one-year, $6 million deal with another $1 million in potential incentives.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 2
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 1
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)